1PasswordAnywhere no longer working with Internet Explorer

Hi,
I am using dropbox (currently 3.0.3) to sync 1Password data files.
Until a short time ago, I was always able to open the 1Password.html file in IE after allowing blocked content.
Now, however, I get an error:

Error occurred in undefined on line #undefined:

Access is denied.

I am running IE version 11.0.9600.17501. Affected systems are both Windows 7 professional.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Are you trying to open the files in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy or on your private dropbox.com web site?

I just tried in IE 11, and it worked just fine.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I get the same error as the OP using IE11 when accessing the locally stored 1Password.html file.
    It works fine when accessing the file from the Dropbox website.

The is a known issue with the browser being paranoid for Firefox and Chrome. Can I assume that IE is the same now.

• benharmonagile
    benharmonagile
    Community Member

Sorry, I should have specified that this was the locally stored 1Password.html file. I have seen other discussions about issues with the other browsers, but not IE. Also, the other articles did not mention the error that I encountered. I have seen the other errors related to content being blocked, javascript not allowed to run, etc. but this appears at first glance to be different, especially since the error occurs after clicking "Allow blocked content".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the follow-up, @benharmonagile‌. Please see the Using 1PasswordAnywhere article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

1PasswordAnywhere really is intended for access to your 1Password data on a remote server, specifically when you don't have access to the 1Password program on your computer or app on your mobile device.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The ironic thing is that it would be far safer to block sync on the 1Password.html file and then only ever access it locally. This is an example of inflexible security measures reducing security.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Again, you have to remember what 1PasswordAnywhere was designed to do. Long before there was an app for mobile devices, 1PasswordAnywhere gave you the ability to see your Login items and other saved data on your private dropbox.com web site, when you were away from your Dropbox-synced Macs.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I understand that, but it doesn't change what I said.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

My car still doesn't fly, but it does a great job of getting me around town. :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

This is an example of inflexible security measures reducing security.

@RichardPayne You're right. 1PasswordAnywhere would be a lot more safe if you could run it locally (not on a remote server). Oh well.

• benharmonagile
    benharmonagile
    Community Member

I am both a security professional and an end user of this product. As a security professional, I agree with the points made by @RichardPayne and @svondutch regarding the increased security when running locally. But perhaps even more importantly from the perspective of Agilebits, as an end user, the person purchasing and using this product, I certainly do not " have to remember what 1PasswordAnywhere was designed to do". I could care less. I just want it to work.. now... and it doesn't. It is also clear that there are many other users that are negatively affected by this limitation. Seems like something AgileBits might want to actively fix, rather than citing outdated design motivations or throwing up their hands when browser technology changes.. as it always will. How about providing an alternative to an HTML file for those wanting to run from the local dropbox folder?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@benharmonagile to be fair, it's not a problem they can fix. The problem is the browsers being too conservative in their security restrictions.

Bear in mind too, that 1PasswordAnywhere is disappearing when the new opvault format is properly rolled out. Unless, that is, they've been doing lots of sneaky development.

• benharmonagile
    benharmonagile
    Community Member

@RichardPayne Thanks.. I was not aware of this.

• benharmonagile
    benharmonagile
    Community Member

@RichardPayne Actually, it is a problem they can fix. Again, I am thinking from the end-user perspective, where I don't care about the technology.. I just care about the capability. They just have to use a different technology for the local solution. It sounds like they might be considering that with whatever the "opvault format" is.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@benharmonagile‌ the different technology that they've used for that situation is known as a fat client, aka 1Password. ;)
    The trouble is, can you think of a technology other than JS that would do the job on all platforms?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@benharmonagile‌, the usefulness of 1PasswordAnywhere is diminished almost entirely by the availability of your synced 1Password data on all your Macs, PCs, and iOS and Android mobile devices. I assume that's why it's omitted entirely from the new .opvault design.

I'm sorry that my "have to remember the purpose" remark (which was addressed to @RichardPayne, by the way) was unsatisfactory.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

the usefulness of 1PasswordAnywhere is diminished almost entirely by the availability of your synced 1Password data on all your Macs, PCs, and iOS and Android mobile devices.

cough Linux cough
    :-P

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Oh, are people still using that?

• benharmonagile
    benharmonagile
    Community Member

lol Okay.. welcome to the Cloud. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne