1Password for Surface RT

Is an 1Password app under development for the Surface RT? If so, when is the anticipated launch date? I currently use 1Password on my Windows 7 desktop and IPhone, but the inability to use it on my Surface RT is becoming a serious limitation, making me consider whether to scrap 1Password and move onto another system that will work for all 3 of my devices. If a 1Password app for Surface RT won't be forthcoming soon, are there any other solutions for accessing my stored 1Password info on the Surface RT?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Yes, we're in the early stages of developing a metro/modern/RT app, @robinsking‌, but it's much too soon to get into the specifics of features and schedule. When it's a good bit more mature, I'm sure we'll make a fair amount of noise. :D

Thank you for letting us know of your interest!

In the meantime, you can sync your 1Password data to Dropbox and view it on your private dropbox.com web site, as described in the Using 1PasswordAnywhere article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown I vaguely recall people reporting bugs when using Surface tablets which would tend to imply that they can run the standard windows app, albeit imperfectly. Is that the case?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Only on Surface Pro models, because they include Desktop mode.

1Password 4 for Windows does not function in metro/modern/RT/app mode.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ok, thanks for the clarification.

• robinsking
    robinsking
    Community Member

Thanks for the info. I do sync through dropbox and tried opening the html file as directed in the link you provided. I got this error message:
    1PasswordAnywhere experienced an error

Error occurred in undefined on line #undefined:
    Access is denied.

You are running 1PasswordAnywhere version #001

Please report this error so Agile can investigate

Also, the html file in drop box said it was modified 3 months ago, although I've saved additional logins much more recently. Does that mean the drop box sync is not working properly? I appreciate your help!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

There's no need to update the 1Password.html file every time something changes. It's the portal to your data, which is modified as needed.

Can you post a screen shot of that message, @robinsking‌? I'll include it in a report to Dev, in case there's anything they can do.

Also, what browser are you using when you see the message?

Lastly, do you see the same message when you view 1Password.html on your private dropbox.com web site from other Windows systems running in desktop mode?

• robinsking
    robinsking
    Community Member

I just realized that my problem is that I was using the drop box app on the Surface RT. When I accessed drop box through IE, it worked exactly as described in your link. I still see that the last update to the html file was 3 months ago. I though syncing was happening automatically. Is there some way I can make it sync? Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Yes, as noted in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase, you do need to use the desktop-mode version of Dropbox.

As stated above:

There's no need to update the 1Password.html file every time something changes. It's the portal to your data, which is modified as needed.

It's like the front door to your house. It keeps your stuff secure, because you can't open it without the key, but you don't need to replace it every time you get a new piece of furniture. :)

I hope that helps!

• robinsking
    robinsking
    Community Member

Love the analogy. Now I get it! Thanks!!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @robinsking‌! I'm glad it helped. :D

This discussion has been closed.