1P icon missing from systray

Having only recently loaded the 1P program and paid for a licence, I'm still in the process of personalising 1P on my main (Win7) PC and have been settikng up & using the program in a stand-alone manner. During this time, as set (and still set) in Preferences, the 1P icon has always appeared in the notification area.
Yesterday I moved my vault to Dropbox, since when the Dropbox icon has appeared in the notification area but the 1P icon has now disappeared.
In Control Panel, the check box "Always show all icons and notifications on the toolbar" is enabled.
Among the programs listed in CP, 1P has lost its icon.
Is this the default behaviour? Can the 1P icon be brought back?

If the 1P password icon can indeed be restored to my notification area, then as has been the case so far after the program has auto-locked, I'll once more have the choice of unlocking it again by calling the “Your 1Password Vault Is Locked” box and entering the Master Password using either the Firefox extension icon or the notification area icon. I've read an explanation of the pros & cons of these two methods somewhere, but despite searching the 1P manual & knowledge base and also googling, I can't find it. Could you please point me to this?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

First thing to try is Help > Restart 1Password Helper.
    Second thing to try is a reboot.

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

Restarting 1P Helper did the trick, thanks.
    Have you an answer to my second question, by chance?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I didn't really understand what you were getting at. If you have Universal Unlock (Browsers tab in Preferences) then unlocking from either location unlocks both the browser and the main app.

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

Hmmm - you are of course right (I've just tried it). Strange though, because I'm pretty sure there's a conversation on this forum discussing the whys and wherefores of unlocking here and/or there. Maybe DBrown or someone else will recall it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

There's a few conversation around the unlock function. It is mainly to do with a particularly situation were the universal unlock fails. That is where one side is not running when the other side is unlocked.

Eg:
    The helper (systray) starts automatically with Windows.
    You unlock through the browser.
    You then click on the "open padlock" icon in the systray and you'll be prompted to unlock.

This is because when you unlocked the browser the main app was not running and so could not be unlocked. Clicking on the systray icon loads the main app which then needs to be unlocked.

Once the main app is loaded, locking or unlocking either it, or the browser, will correctly lock or unlock both. So long as you don't use the main apps File > Exit option (which terminates the app) then it will work properly. Alt+F4 or click on the Close button on the window titlebar will close the window but will leave the app running in the background.

You can get the same issue in reverse but using the Help > Restart 1Password Helper option. You will see the app unlocked but a "closed padlock" icon in the systray and trying to use the browser extension will result in another unlock being required.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Auto-lock behavior is affected mostly by option on the Security tab of 1Password preferences, but it's also affected by the System Tray option and the Universal unlock and even the Secure Desktop options.

I understand why these seemingly related options are spread across the preferences tabs as they are, but I also understand that it can be confusing.

All that aside, there's no particular benefit to unlocking your 1Password vault in one place over another. You just need to find the configuration that suits your workflow and personal preferences.

I hope this helps somewhat, @Kriegie‌.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Kriegie‌ Is the 1Password icon still missing from your tray notification area? If yes, then you might need to turn ON this setting:

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General > "Show 1Password icon in the notification area"

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

Yes, thanks - that setting had been enabled from the start. As written in Post #3, restarting 1P Helper restored the disappeared icon.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I hope we've addressed the second question, as well, @Kriegie‌. Please let us know if there's anything else.

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

Re being able to unlock only once sometimes but having to unlock twice at other times, when I accessed 1P for the first time this morning I initially unlocked at the FF extension icon and then needed to access the 1P main window but couldn't without entering my Master Password again. When this happened, the idea came spontaneously into my head that 1Password should be renamed 1PasswordTwice, but I'll keep that evil thought to myself and won't mention it on this forum.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...especially as it happens in only one of the many scenarios in which you might've entered your master password. :)

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

Having tried and failed over an admittedly short period of time to develop a meaningful behaviour tree based on my practical experiences of having to re-enter my Master Password twice after having clicked either the 1P icon in the systray or the 1P browser extension, I came to the decision to give up and to disable my Preferences > Security > Autolock > Lock after ? minutes of inactivity option.

Luckily, except in case of an intruder break-in, when my PC and Mrs Kriegie's laptop would normally be switched off (and protected from switch-on by password-protected HDDs/SSDs), our 1P system isn't accessible to third parties. In the unlikely case of a hacker possibly trying to gain access to our 1P data when we are present and the system is active, he/she will first have to overcome our firewall / Internet security protection system.

Under the circumstances described above, is it considered a serious error to disable the Autolock option?

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

...especially as it happens in only one of the many scenarios in which you might've entered your master password.

But it's not some rare corner case: at least for me it is a routine occurrence, which makes it a nuisance.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

...especially as it happens in only one of the many scenarios in which you might've entered your master password.

But it's not some rare corner case: at least for me it is a routine occurrence, which makes it a nuisance.

Gosh, @bkh, I definitely didn't mean to minimize the inconvenience. :( I was only attempting a humorous response to your joke about renaming the product to incorporate 1Password's need to protect your security in that one scenario.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

is it considered a serious error to disable the Autolock option?

Not at all, @Kriegie‌. The locking options on the General, Security, and Browsers tab are just that—options. One of the reasons they're so complex is so that you can configure the software to suit your own needs, which is always a balance between security and convenience.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

One of the reasons they're so complex is so that you can configure the software to suit your own needs, which is always a balance between security and convenience.

Indeed. Personally I turn off all of the lock options except Lock when Windows locks. Whenever I leave my desk I press Win+L anyway.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

++

• Kriegie
    Kriegie
    Community Member

In my Post #11 above, I confessed to having entertained the idea of renaming 1Password "1PasswordTwice", since when I have been completely unable to detect any logic or pattern in the unlock once or unlock twice behaviour. I have unchecked all Auto-Lock options in Preferences and I have decided that my circumstances are such that I am happy to unlock 1P after booting my PC and leave it unlocked until shutting the system down. Is there any way for me to arrange to unlock once either via the notification area icon or via the Firefox 1P extension icon and never to be obliged to unlock twice via each icon as is the case nowadays?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Kriegie‌, it should not be the case that you always have to unlock 1Password twice by any single method. There is one scenario in which the helper is unlocked through the browser extension, but the main program remains locked and must be unlocked separately. That's described in the Excessive data locking article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase.

The 1Password icon in the system tray represents the lock state of the 1Password helper, which facilitates communication between the extensions and the main 1Password program. 1Password is designed so that, as much as possible, the helper and the main program are mutually locked or unlocked (such as unlocking the helper when you unlock the main program and vice versa), but there’s one scenario in which we chose security over convenience.

If the main 1Password program is not running, unlocking the 1Password extension in your web browser will unlock the helper but not launch the main program; subsequently launching the main 1Password program will require you to unlock it, too. If you do those two things in a row, it will mean entering your master password twice: once in the browser extension to unlock it, and once to unlock the main program.

Despite the occasional inconvenience, we believe that the security of your data in the main program takes precedence.

Once the main program is running, though, you won’t have to repeat this “double-unlock” sequence again until you restart your computer (and then only if you re-create that particular set of circumstances).

Otherwise, the settings on the Security, General, and Browsers tabs of 1Password preferences give you complete control over when your vault needs to be unlocked.

This discussion has been closed.