Software License titlebar icon only shown if PNG icon is chosen

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I just noticed that the icon in the titlebar of software licenses only shows if a PNG file is chosen:

I'm just wondering if this feature could be extended to JPG or ICO icons as, if these are chosen, only the placeholder art is shown?

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I've confirmed that only PNG icons are displayed in the details area:

https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/db/icon-types.mp4

Note that all four supported icon types are displayed correctly in the list area.

I'll make sure this is a known issue, but I imagine it falls in the "cosmetic improvement" category in that it doesn't affect 1Password functionality.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

This has just been reported as fixed in the next beta build, @pbryanw‌.

Once that's available, please let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Hi, thanks for the quick response again! I just noticed the fix in the new beta notes - sorry for the delay in replying

I've tried the latest beta, and some custom icons loaded using 1Password for Mac are showing, but not images I get by clicking on an exe file in 1Password for Windows. I don't know if 1Password for Windows is pulling ico images from the exe files, but unfortunately they're not showing in the details area for me.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, I'm not sure why .exe files were not included in the fix. I'll ask Dev for clarification.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Many thanks DBrown!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'll try to update this thread, if I get any additional information, but keep an eye on release notes, in case .exe files get added, later.

(There may be some technical limitation, of course.)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@pbryanw‌, Dev has explained that _.exe_ files typically provide only 16×16 icons, whereas the other three file types provide the 32×32 icons required by 1Password for display in that location.

Thanks for your patience in waiting for the clarification!

Correction: Seems I misunderstood the information from Dev:

EXE files usually provide 16x16 icons. In theory, they can also provide lots of other sizes, up to 512x512, but 1Password requests 16x16 only, because it is perfect for the list area.

JPG, PNG, and ICO files don't necessarily provide 32x32 icons. They could be any size. They are usually larger than 32x32.

32x32 (or larger) is what 1Password needs for the details area.

I apologize for the error.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Dev has explained that .exe files typically provide only 16×16 icons, whereas the other three file types provide the 32×32 icons required by 1Password for display in that location.

That is incorrect. EXE files are far more likely to have the full set because Windows needs the bigger icons for Explorer to display.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@RichardPayne Yes we could extract the large icon but we don't. We extract the small icon. This is perfect for the list view (and - as an added bonus - keeps your Vault smaller), but too small for the detail view. Oh well.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648069(v=vs.85).aspx

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch I don't understand how that is relevant. You are extracting large icons from .ico files and, I assume, storing them in the vault. Why is extract from exes and dlls any different? A 32x32 icon is the same size no matter where you got it from and the large icon option on ExtractIconEx returns a 32x32 icon.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

You are extracting large icons from .ico files

@RichardPayne We're not extracting anything from .ico files. When you give us a custom icon (PNG or JPG or ICO) then we encrypt and store the graphic you're giving to us.

When we display your custom icon in detail view, then we need at least 32x32 or we display the default item type placeholder.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch‌
    So, at present you are storing the entire ico file, including any number of possible custom icon sizes that it contains and yet you're trying to make a "keeping your vault small" argument for not extracting the 32x32 icon from exes and dlls. I really don't follow.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@RichardPayne I'm not trying to make the "keeping your vault small" argument. Vault size is just an added bonus. That is all.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch
    ok, so is there an argument against switching to extracting the large icon?

The only one I can think of is that the listview icon might look poor due to automatic resize. That could be overcome by extracting both 16 and 32 pixel icons from the exe or dll and then writing them to an ico before storing against the item.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

The only one I can think of is that the listview icon might look poor due to automatic resize

This, plus performance. Right now, we can feed the 16x16 icon to the listview without the need to resize it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Right, which extracting and storing both would solve nicely.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

which extracting and storing both would solve nicely.

Yeah this would be nice, but it is low priority. Sorry.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

So, if I understand correctly, if I extract the ico files myself (I've found a program called IconsExtract to do that) - as long as they're bigger than 32x32, they should display in details view?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

as long as they're bigger than 32x32, they should display in details view?

@pbryanw‌ Correct.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@svondutch - Thanks - that's great news, I'll go and start extracting!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Just a couple more questions - I've noticed icons that have come across from 1Password for Mac are not scaling very well in details view:

Can that be improved, or is this the best to expect? Also, could the 32K limit be expanded for icons. An icon I've extracted for DigiGuide is 170KB - is there any reason for the limit?

Thanks again, Paul

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

is there any reason for the limit?

@pbryanw‌ Because custom icons are stored with your Vault, and because your Vault is probably in the cloud somewhere, we must have a limit. Otherwise, your custom icon might bring sync to a halt.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@svondutch - many thanks for the explanation - I'll try extracting at a smaller size. Also, thanks for all the help received on this thread for such an intricate subject.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We do our best, @pbryanw‌, and try to correct our mistakes. :blush: Thanks for your patience!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi, icons extracted at 32x32 look good in details view but don't scale nicely in list view, while 16x16 icons look good in list view but scale badly in details view.
    I think RichardPayne's suggestion of "extracting both 16 and 32 pixel icons from the exe or dll and then writing them to an ico before storing against the item."
    would solve the problem, but I expect is not high on your list of priorities. However, hopefully, this feature will come to some future version of 1Password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Because custom icons are stored with your Vault, and because your Vault is probably in the cloud somewhere, we must have a limit. Otherwise, your custom icon might bring sync to a halt.

Would it really bring sync to a halt or was that just hyperbole?
    Surely the decision on what is and is not an acceptable vault size should be the user's, not yours unless the size starts to cause technical failures. A warning would be acceptable, but not a limit.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'd forgotten that conversation. So basically it comes down to lack of proper error handling and molly coddling the ignorant.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Ahem.

This discussion has been closed.