Trouble signing into Starbucks.com site with 1Password for Mac [resolved]

Options

Comments

• orchetect
    orchetect
    Community Member
    Options

It's now December and the problem still persists.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don't have anything new to report at this time that hasn't already been covered earlier in the thread. You can be sure we will post here as soon as we have something to share, though. It would be great to see this resolved for 1Password users who are also Starbucks customers.

• mokolabs
    mokolabs
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, @Drew_AG, I have followed up with Starbucks and will let you know if I hear anything back useful.

But just wanted to let folks know that there may be a problem totally independent of 1Password. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for adding that information, @mokolabs. :)

I wonder if others having trouble have tried logging in completely without 1Password to see if the issue still happens then as well.

For what it's worth, it does appear that there is a problem with 1Password filling on the Starbucks site, so I don't want to dismiss the reports of others. However, it does appear the problem may possibly be compounded by an issue unrelated to 1Password.

• milmom53
    milmom53
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried logging into Starbucks completely without 1Password (I used a password protected numbers spreadsheet...always need a backup). I get into the site no problem. Using 1Password kicks me back to the Starbucks corporate screen as others have said. With the myriad website logins out there I am not surprised there are ones that 1Password has issues with.

• Thanks for being so forgiving @milmom53 :) I get the same thing on my end and we'll continue looking into how to fix up the Starbucks login process.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

I don't remember seeing this in the thread, so I tried this:

I copied the username from the 1Password browser popup and copied it to a TextEdit (Mac OS text editor) document. Then I did the same thing with the password. I then copied each of those from the text document to the Starbucks login fields in the browser. It let me login in correctly.

I don't know what that means except that when login items are passed through a text editor application, whatever is causing the problem is "stripped" out of the text.

?????

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Kino,

You should be able to bypass the use of TextEdit - merely copying and pasting should be all that is required. It isn't that doing this alters the text at all, instead you're interacting with the website in a different way compared to our extension. We are painfully aware there is an issue that needs resolved and I will be very happy once this is behind us.

ref: OPX-744

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what I get for trying to think at 5 am. Never mind...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Who of us hasn't been there @Kino :lol:

It would be nice if you didn't need to instigate these kind of investigations as well, we are sorry that we're still fighting with the Starbucks website :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, that's what I get for trying to think at 5 am. Never mind...

Welcome to my world! :lol:

• Pasta86
    Pasta86
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem, using Firefox. Copy & paste works. Thanks for working on getting this resolved!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your patience. I hope we'll be able to find a solution that works for the Starbuck login page!

• spflan
    spflan
    Community Member
    Options

Just posting to keep this discussion alive. The problem still persists. I was just searching here to see if other people had any tips to get around the problem, like a custom set-up of the webform details or something like that.

It could be an issue with Starbucks generating the ID's & names for the username & password fields. However, the weird thing to me is that when I set 1Password to fill in the fields but not submit, it will fill the fields in correctly. But then once I manually click the submit button, it returns me to the main Starbucks page without logging me in. Perhaps Starbucks has an added hidden field somewhere on the page that can only be accessed by software (such as 1Password) and if it gets modified, Starbucks blocks the login? The strange thing is that if I use Safari with iCloud Keychain to automatically enter my username & password, it logs me in correctly.

In case the info is needed, I'm on OS X 10.11.1, using Chrome 47.0.2526.106, & 1Password 5.4.1.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spflan: Oh, I don't think it's going anywhere. But I'm afraid we haven't managed a fix for this in the past week. As mentioned previously, it seems to be an issue with the site's scripting. It doesn't surprise me that Keychain is able to fill it, since this doesn't involve scripting at all. But of course browser extensions such as 1Password are written in Javascript, so scripts on websites can sometimes break this. I hope we'll be able to find a solution. :(

• chrispop
    chrispop
    Community Member
    Options

Experiencing the same problem. Although the new twist I'm experiencing is that the app on the iPhone won't let me log in at all. It doesn't matter if I cut/paste the password or enter it manually, clicking on the "SIGN IN" button on the app does nothing. I attempted to change the email address as well. No joy. Calling Starbucks next to see what they can tell me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrispop,

Thanks for letting us know - although from your description, that sounds like a problem with the Starbucks iOS app itself, not related to 1Password at all. In that case, contacting Starbucks is the right course of action, and I hope they're able to help you get their app working correctly! :)

If you happen to run into any trouble using 1Password, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. Thanks!

• chrispop
    chrispop
    Community Member
    Options

I was finally able to get in but only after entering the password manually. Cutting and pasting from the 1Password to the Starbucks app did not work. The browser auto-fill doesn't work but that's documented as well.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's really frustrating. I hope they can resolve the issue with their iOS app.

• paultreny
    paultreny
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

With the latest versions of both the Starbucks (3.3.5) and 1Password (6.1.2) iOS apps on my iPhone 5S with iOS 9.2, I don't have any problem copying and pasting the password from 1Password into Starbucks. I manually reload $20 every week or two, and am prompted for my password when reloading, so I switch to 1Password, copy the pass, switch back, and press and hold in the password field in Starbucks, then tap "paste", and it works without issue.

I logged out of the Starbucks app itself to see if it was just the initial account login when setting up Starbucks that might be the issue, and while I did have to tap the sign-in button a bunch of times until it accepted the password (was processing for 4 or 5 seconds, could just be my slow phone), it did accept the password that I had pasted into the password field without issue and successfully signed me in.

So I don't think the scope of this autofill bug extends to the iOS app, as pasting does seem to work for me.

However, the fact remains that autofilling in browser with the 1Password extension does NOT work, but at least copying and pasting from the 1Password app does continue to work in the meantime.

@chrispop I will say that I was trying to sign in using my EMAIL the first few times, which did NOT work, as it only seems to accept your starbuck's USERNAME (and it displays an error). I was almost convinced it the whole sign-in page wasn't working until I looked more closely, and realized my mistake. When using my username (instead of my email) it worked on the first try (with copy and pasting).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

With the latest versions of both the Starbucks (3.3.5) and 1Password (6.1.2) iOS apps on my iPhone 5S with iOS 9.2, I don't have any problem copying and pasting the password from 1Password into Starbucks.

That is great news, @paultreny!

However, the fact remains that autofilling in browser with the 1Password extension does NOT work, but at least copying and pasting from the 1Password app does continue to work in the meantime.

That makes sense as 1Password shares the same filling code on iOS and Mac. (There are slight differences due to the platforms, but it should generally be pretty consistent presuming the filling engine we call "Brain" is the same version.)

I wonder if the email vs username distinction has caused trouble for others. Thanks for mentioning that!

• lodenmuse
    lodenmuse
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I feel so lucky to have discovered this Starbucks sign-in frustration during this holiday season. :| I've learned to copy/paste my password in Safari on the desktop (not try to fill from 1Password), but in the iOS app manually entering the password is the only thing that works--if you copy/paste in the app, it LOOKS like it's filled, but the SIGN IN button does nothing unless I manually type in my 18-character password. Thank God I don't sign out of the app often.

When I finally get signed in on the desktop, it's a mixed bag--usually I'm signed out after a few page loads, but when I WANT to sign out I can't: clicking SIGN OUT repeatedly does nothing. Ugh, so I think Starbucks is trying to be super secure, but they goof up at it pretty much.

I've come to appreciate 1Password so much over the years--I was a huge skeptic about its usefulness in the beginning. Happy Holidays, everyone. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy Holidays to you as well, @lodenmuse!

It sure is a frustrating issue. We're seeing what we can do about it on our end. It does seem that they are not making it easy for 1Password.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

New data point: Firefox (43.0.3) is now working less than 50% of the time (copy/paste from 1P).

Safari (9.0.2) still works okay.

Running Mac OS X 10.9.5.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kino,

New data point: Firefox (43.0.3) is now working less than 50% of the time (copy/paste from 1P).

I'm assuming you're referring specifically to the Starbucks website, right? Or are you having trouble copying/pasting from 1Password into other websites in Firefox as well? And when you say it works less than half of the time, do you mean it looks like something is pasted into the fields of the Starbucks sign-in form but the site gives you an error? Or nothing is pasted into the fields at all?

You previously mentioned that you had tried copying/pasting from 1Password into TextEdit, and then from TextEdit into the Starbucks site. Is that still what you're doing, or are you copying/pasting directly from 1Password into the Starbucks site in Firefox?

Copying text from 1Password works the same way as copying text from any other app (i.e. it uses the OS X clipboard). Likewise, pasting text into Firefox works the same way with any text in the OS X clipboard. The only thing that might be different when copying/pasting from 1Password is that there's a setting (in 1Password > Preferences > Security) to clear the clipboard after a certain amount of time. You might want to check that to see if the time period is too short (and if so, change it to a longer period of time, or disable that setting).

On the other hand, if it always works correctly with Safari, then it doesn't sound like this is a problem with 1Password, and perhaps is a problem with the Starbucks site and/or Firefox. It's difficult to tell for sure though, without some more details.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

You assume correctly - it's in reference to this thread. Copy and paste from 1Password to the Starbucks site, click "Sign In" and I end up in a Do loop. Manually typing username and password and it lets me in.

Just tried it again and both Firefox and Safari failed.

Dunno what it means. Just sayin'...

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Just to chime in, I tried to sign in to Starbucks.com (Windows, Chrome and Firefox, beta extensions but latest stable (formerly beta) Windows 4) and via iOS to their app (freshly installed, I rarely visit) today and ran into these same issues. Auto-fill in browser appears to work but throws back to homepage and doesn't sign in. iOS pasting password refuses to activate Log In button. Typing the password manually (I've reset it as well) works fine in both. I've submitted a request via their contact us link on their website; they promise a reply within 1 business day.

Oddly, I just signed out in Firefox, switched the entry in 1Password to use Auto-Type, logged in that way and it worked. Logged out, turned off Auto-Type, tried again, NOW it works this time. Didn't try Chrome again yet, but this is odd. And that doesn't resolve the iOS issue either. We'll see what they say.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Kino! Previously you said it was working correctly in Safari, but now it sounds like the same problem happens in both browsers. And just to make sure I understand: manually typing your username and password works every time, right? So the problem only happens when copying/pasting your username & password from 1Password into the Starbucks website, but it only fails about half of the time, and works correctly the other half?

What happens if you copy/paste the username & password from 1Password to TextEdit, then copy/paste them from TextEdit into the Starbucks website? Does that work every time, or only sometimes, like when copying/pasting directly from 1Password?

...I end up in a Do loop.

Can you please elaborate on that? I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by a "Do loop".

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Correct - manually entering ID & pw and it works okay. Seldom works copy/paste from 1P into the browser(s). Haven't tried the TextEdit method - I'll try when I can.

Guess you've never been a programmer. An infinite Do Loop:

Step 1 Do
    Step 2 Go to Step 1

That is, Go to Sign In, Enter login info, Click Login, Go to Sign In, Enter login info, Click Login, ... (Do you see where this is going?)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

@Kino,

In Drew's defense, I am more familiar with the term "do while loop" or just "loop". I think he just wanted to make sure you didn't mean more or other than what you described. :)

It would be interesting to know if there is a difference between pasting from TextEdit vs. 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.