Trouble signing into Starbucks.com site with 1Password for Mac [resolved]

Options

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

The Starbucks iOS app just updated. After the update I logged out and back in. Pasting the password from 1Password still doesn't work, however after trying, I then inserted a single space after the password that was pasted and then backspaced to delete it, and the login worked, so it apparently is looking for the act of typing at least one character in the password field and it works after that now. Still a workaround, but better than typing it in manually. iPhone 6, latest iOS 9.2, Starbucks app 3.3.6.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

dszp,

This thread isn't about the Starbucks iOS app, but I tried to duplicate your error and could not. Logged out after update to 3.3.6 and back in using copy/paste from the 1Pw app. Workee finee.

BWTHDIK

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a good data point, @Kino. Thanks for including that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kino, @dszp: I'll add that I was unable to copy or paste anything a few days ago, and the only way I was able to get it to work again (after nearly losing my mind: "What am I doing wrong?!") was to restart my iPhone. :lol:

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I saw the Starbucks iOS app mentioned several times earlier (and I also have the website issue where filling doesn't work, which seems to still be there also--support replied with the really helpful information of how complex my password is required to be, but apparently didn't actually read my email), but I'll admit I didn't get a chance to read every last post in this thread, sorry if it's off-topic. I will remove the app, reboot the phone, and try again to see if it works now. If not I'll start another thread or try to find a more appropriate one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dszp,

It's no problem at all - there are quite a lot of posts in this thread by now (we don't expect you to have read every single one), and you're right, others here have also mentioned having trouble with the Starbucks iOS app. Plus, the title of this discussion is "Problem with Starbucks" which isn't very specific! ;) I'll update it after replying to help clear up confusion for others who might come across this thread.

If you're having trouble using the 1Password for iOS app with the Starbucks iOS app, please feel free to start a new discussion in our iOS forum. Although, if the problem is actually pasting text into the Starbucks app / password field in general, and not specifically just when copying/pasting from 1Password, it sounds like an issue with the Starbucks app. But we'll be happy to help you determine that! :)

• Tisi
    Tisi
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

nvm

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tisi, it looks like you edited your message and perhaps deleted it, so I'm guessing you figured out the answer to whatever question you may have had. But if you need help with anything, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Have a great weekend! :)

• Tisi
    Tisi
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, I was just saying that I don't have 1Password and I haven't been able to login to Starbucks.com for a year now. I deleted it because I realized that the people and this thread can log on when they manually type their credentials in, but I can't. However, when I tried the copy and paste trick, I was able to log in. I thought maybe it was a related problem, but probably not, since others here can logon manually.

• bcb
    bcb
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having trouble logging into starbucks.com (and starbucks.ca) using 1Password browser extension on Mac OS X, and it's been driving me nuts! then I discovered this old thread, seems this is (still) a known problem.

Whenever I try to login to starbucks using 1Password, I simply get dumped back to the main starbuck page without logging me in - keeps doing this no matter how many times I try. Only workaround is to manually enter my username and password. Doesn't matter if I use Safari or Firefox.

Very frustrating!! kind of defeats the purpose of 1Password extension. I'm certain this used to work a while previously...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tisi: Thanks for clarifying. That is pretty strange!

Very frustrating!! kind of defeats the purpose of 1Password extension. I'm certain this used to work a while previously...

@bcb: Sorry for the trouble! Indeed, it's worked at some points in the past. And while we're often able to workaround website changes with some clever programming, so far this one has been a tough nut to crack, but we're not giving up!

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Similar to others above, I ran across this thread after wondering for quite a while why I couldn't get 1Password and starbucks.ca to play nice (even though keychain auto-fill works fine). I understand (being an ex-programmer) that this is a tough problem that may not have a resolution.

However it prompts a thought: does the 1Password team maintain a list (or FAQ or whatever) of known "problem" sites that people could refer to? It obviously could not be exhaustive, but it could save a lot of time, and I suspect the 90/10 rule would apply and so a relatively small number high profile sites like Starbucks would dominate the list.

Dave Ings

• bcb
    bcb
    Community Member
    Options

Dave makes a good point above. In my case, I struggled with this problem with 1Password and Starbucks website for a long time - at one point I even got Starbucks support involved thinking it was a problem with their site. FYI Been a 1P user for many years and starbucks is the ONLY website I've encountered that 1Password fails to log into in this way, so at first I had no reason to think the origin of the problem was 1P itself... Is it really an unsolvable problem??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bcb: I don't think it's unsolvable, but of course I say that knowing we still haven't found a solution. Hopefully we can put this behind us all finally. :blush:

• jeremywrnr
    jeremywrnr
    Community Member
    Options

I too continue to have this issue with the release of 1PW 6, both in Safari and Google Chrome. Copying and pasting the password works well though

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the continued trouble here, but I'm glad you're at least able to store your login credentials securely in 1Password and copy/paste them to login. I don't want to give false hope, but we are working on this problem. Fingers crossed!

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I notice that using 1Password to login no longer sends one to the Starbucks Home Page. Now, it goes to a "Server Error" page. "We’re sorry — something has gone wrong on our end."

Perhaps that's progress?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kino: This was fixed in version 6.2, and I just double-checked to make sure that I'm still able to login. Are you perhaps using an outdated version of 1Password, browser, or extension? Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1P version 4.4.3 and I'm running Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kino: Ah, that explains it. We had to make some changes in 1Password itself to accommodate the Starbucks login process. It simply isn't possible for that to work in 1Password 4 since it is very outdated, only the current release of 1Password 6 will work. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. :blush:

• bcb
    bcb
    Community Member
    Options

just a followup to my previous posts back in January: I just noticed the recent comment by @brenty that this problem was fixed in v6.2 - I just tried logging into starbucks.ca using 1P v6.2.1 and confirm it now works for me.
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bcb,

That’s the best kind of follow-up ever! Thanks so much for letting us know that 1Password is now logging into Starbucks correctly, and for your patience as our team worked to squash this bug. :)

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Well, moved up/over to El Capitan 10.11 and 1Password 6 (6.2.1). Starbucks login still doesn't work - same problem as at the start of this thread.

Is there something I have to change with my Starbucks entry in 1P6 to get it to work?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kino ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this. Please try Saving a new Login manually. This should help.

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. I tried "Create New" and "Update Existing" - both did the same thing as the original problem.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kino,

You mentioned you're using 1Password 6.2.1, but can you also please check which version of the extension is installed in your browser? Although the fix for this specific issue was in the app itself, 1Password 6 requires version 4.5.0 or higher of the browser extension for certain things to work correctly in general. The latest stable version of the extension is currently 4.5.5, so please make sure you have that installed. If you need to update the extension, does that help? If not, can you also please let us know the version of the browser you're using?

• paultreny
    paultreny
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I did not have to create a new login to get it to work, it just started working again once I updated to 6.2 (presumably once my extension was auto-updated by chrome as well)

Mac OS X 10.10.5, Chrome Stable, 1P (App Store version) 6.2.1, 1P Extension 4.5.5.90

I was surprised there wasn't more of an announcement in this thread, given the number of posts hehe. If I wasn't subscribed and hadn't noticed brenty's comment then I probably would have kept copy and pasting on starbucks.com for a while :)

Very happy to have it working again, thanks!

• Kino
    Kino
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,

The 1P6 extension is version 4.5.5.

I normally use Firefox (45.0.2), but I just tried Safari (Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1)) and it doesn't work either. Both have the 4.5.5 extension.

I'm running OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.4 (15E65).

Paul,

Yeah, I was a little dismayed at not seeing any announcement on this fix. However, the "fix" isn't working for me.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Drew_AG I am having the same problem with Starbucks as well, although to be completely honest I don't remember this website ever working correctly. I have tried saving a new login. I have made sure Remember Me box is unchecked.

1Password 6
    Version 6.3.BETA-10 (630010)
    AgileBits Beta

Chrome Version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)
    Password Beta 4.5.6.5 ext.

Mac 10.11.4

Doesn't work on Safari either using:
    Safari Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1)
    Ext beta 4.5.6.b4

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paultreny, @Kino & @iamecho,

This was definitely working but it seems to be partially broken again, I swear Starbucks keep moving the goalposts.

If you set the Starbucks Login item to Never submit do you find that while you will have to tap the enter key, you are actually logged in properly? To set an individual item not to submit you would edit the Login item from the main 1Password window and set the submit option from its default of Submit when enabled to the suggested Never submit option. I'm hoping this helps while we iron out whatever kinks there are here.

This discussion has been closed.