suggestions for sharing functionality

I would very much like the ability to share individual items to other people, but having only 1 physical record. I have kind of basic filesystem authorization in mind: a vault is synonym for someones account/private key. A record can be shared to someone else making use of public keys. In other words: my wifes account details "live" as physical item in her vault, but is shared to me, so I can either login to her vault using my own password, seeing only items that I am authorized to see, based on key, ór somehow I get an authorized symbolic link to her vaults item, which itself lives in my own vault.

As I understand sharing now: an item of someone's vault is shared by sending a physical record that gets duplicated. As such it can very quickly get out of sync as we have two systems (vaults) of record....

Ofcourse I do understand that maybe sometimes we would like to send a temporary share. In that case ofcourse a non-linked record can be a nice option to add...

Or am i wrong and is there already an existing way of sharing and keeping 1 system of record?

Regards, Huey

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "only one physical record" and "one system of record," @Huey‌, so I'll describe the functionality that's already available:

• Sharing individual items

You can select one or more items and either paste them into your wife's vault (if you have direct access to it) or e-mail them to her and let her add them to her vault. That creates, just as you say, a copy of the selected items that exists in both vaults—your own and your wife's. The copies are independent and unrelated, so they could, indeed, get "out of sync" because they're not synced at all.

• Sharing a vault

You can share an entire vault, and this is the way to achieve the result you want. Put all the items you want to share into a separate vault, and share that vault (using Dropbox's built-in "folder share" feature) with your wife. From then on, Dropbox automatically syncs the vault between your computers giving you both full and equal access to all the items in the shared vault.

Thanks for taking time to describe an alternative method, @Huey. I trust you'll find the current model sufficient, at least for the time being.

• Huey
    Huey
    Community Member

Hi, yes I am aware of these options. Sharing a vault gets closed to what I want to achieve. I do not like the fact that i need to organize the items into separate vaults though. I forces me to remember in what vault I keep things, and i need to create a vault for basically the roles that the allowed user fits. For example, I do allow my kids access to some of my personal accounts, as they are in my name but for them... On the other hand I do share for example some of my financial accounts with my wife, even though in my name. Worst of this is, that you need to switch vault if you want to benefit from the logon. So not only do I need to remember and understand in which vault an item will reside, so will the users I share with... Also I do not want my wife to change my password for some accounts, but she is allowed to do it for others.
    So a structure that looks like autorization on folders would be of great benefit: the items get organized in recognizable folders, and the user autorization defines whether it can be seen, altered or just read. As the item is only represented in the folder, chnges will only effect this one, and be up-to-date for every user. (Inside one vault you already do this: an item can be "stored" in multiple folders, but still has only 1 physical record.)

Anyway, it would be nice if 1password could give me these possibilities. I understand now it indeed does not, and probably will not?
    I will for now have to do with it, until I find a product or way that does, I guess

Thanks for your time..

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know what would be useful to you, @Huey!

This discussion has been closed.