"Check for new version" command failing under WINE

Hi folks,

I understand running 1Password under WINE isn't officially supported, but I was wondering if you could suggest what might be causing this problem.

Whenever I click Help > Check for New Version, I get a message like this:

If I type that URL into my browser manually, the JSON response loads correctly:

My proxy settings within 1Password are correct (no proxy).

When I examine the request using Wireshark, it appears that the TLS handshake is failing:

This affects both the stable and beta versions of 1Password.

Have you changed e.g. the cipher suite on your update server recently? I don't recall changing anything at my end that could be causing this.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Have you changed e.g. the cipher suite on your update server recently?

Yes, as response to the Heartbleed and POODLE vulnerabilities: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=app-updates.agilebits.com

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I just tested it and the update check worked fine.

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member

Yes, as response to the Heartbleed and POODLE vulnerabilities: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=app-updates.agilebits.com

Interesting - I've only noticed this problem quite recently but POODLE was some months ago. Thanks for the link though - it turns out it is indeed a cipher suite mismatch causing negotiation to fail.

Which distro / version of Wine are you using please?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Which distro / version of Wine are you using please?

@RichardPayne, thank you for assisting @ra_!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

@ra_‌
    Mint 17.1
    WINE 1.7.25

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member

Thanks for the help @RichardPayne‌. Unfortunately I still can't work out what the root cause of my problem is.

Instead, I've set up a quick MITM proxy between me and your official update server that supports one of the older cipher suites my client insists on using. It's a bit of a hack but at least I'm getting my automatic 1Password updates again!

Thanks again everyone!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for posting your Wince workaround, @ra_. I'm glad you found something that is working for you.

This discussion has been closed.