Extension not working in Chrome

stiphout
stiphout
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1Password 4 on a windows 7 machine and 1Password 5 on a macbook. Using Chrome on both. Mac works flawlessly. In windows, whenever I click on the 1Password extension button, it either A.) Does nothing, or B.) Opens up the "Looking for the 1Password helper" page in a new tab. Sometimes it finds it, sometimes it doesn't. But even if I get the "Welcome to the 1Password Extension" page (i.e., it found the helper), it still doesn't work; if I click the 1Password extension button again, it does either A or B again.

I have tried restarting the 1Password helper, restarting 1Password, clearing all browsing data, restarting chome (by ending every chrome.exe process), and reinstalling the extension, all with the same results...

Help?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Have you tried all the tips in the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase?

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member

Yes. Every step.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

So, you've tried disabling the Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature toggle?

Is 1Password listed on the Startup tab in Task Manager?

Is 1Password listed on the Processes tab in Task Manager?

Is Agile1pAgent.exe listed on the Details tab in Task Manager?

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Hmmm... there is no Startup tab in the Task Manager... But, there is one in the System Configuration program, and 1Password (Agile1pAgent.exe) is listed there.

Yes to your other questions.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

here is no Startup tab in the Task Manager...

You're right, of course—I was looking at Windows 8 without realizing it. Sorry for the confusion!

It sounds like the 1Password helper is being started when you start Windows, and it was running when you checked. The next time the problem occurs, can you confirm immediately that Agile1pAgent.exe is still listed in Task Manager?

Also, can you send us a diagnostics report and include a link to this thread?

Thank you!

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member

This problem occurs every time I try to use the program. Like I said, sometimes the web browser indicates that the help app has been found, but even when it does "find" the helper app, the button still does not work. It just opens up a new tab again looking for the helper app.

I will send you a diagnostics report.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We'll keep an eye out for your message. Thanks!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@stiphout Looking at your DR, I can see you're running a lot of other extensions in Chrome. Some of them might interfere with 1Password. My advice is to disable them one-by-one until you identify the culprit. Alternatively, you might want to consider installing our extension in Firefox or Apple.

ref: NRF-22777-661

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

I am having the had the same problem as @stiphout.
    All was working fine on Friday the 9 Jan. Today I used the computer and the Extension for Chrome is not working.
    Like @stiphout I have been through the steps in the troubleshooting section but still get the "Looking for the 1Password helper The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."
    I have reinstalled both 1Password and Chrome. So Chrome installed without any extensions 1Password still won't install the error message is "Looking for the 1Password helper The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@MarkAB‌, what are the full version numbers of Chrome and of the 1Password extension you have installed?

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Google Chrome version: 39.0.2171.99 m

1Password version: 4.1.0.530

1Password extension version: 4.2.5.90

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member

Removing all the other extensions didn't help...

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

Google Chrome 39.0.2171.99 m

1Password 4.1.0.530

1Password Ext 4.2.5.90

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @MarkAB and @stiphout‌.

The first thing I'd ask is that you try updating your 1Password extension for Chrome to the latest beta version. (On the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences, click the Installed 4.2.5.90 button next to Chrome. On the web page that appears, click the Enable Betas link, and then click the Install button.)

If that doesn't solve the problem, please update 1Password to the latest beta build. (On the Updates tab of 1Password preferences, enable the Include beta versions option, and then click the Check Now button.)

Please let us know if either of those solves the problem for you.

• As a side note: Can you please tell us if the same thing happens in Firefox as well?

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

I have as you suggested installed the 1Password extension for Chrome Beta 4.3.0.7. I have tried this with the installed version of 1Password 4.1.0.530 and with the Beta version 4.1.0.BETA-535. I have disabled all the Chrome extensions save the the relevant 1Password extension.

Tested
    1Password 4.1.0.530 with 1Password Ext Beta 4.3.0.7
    1Password 4.1.0.BETA-535 with 1Password Ext 4.2.5.90
    1Password 4.1.0.BETA-535 with 1Password Ext Beta 4.3.0.7

I have also tried rebooting the machine and also restarting the helper at each stage.

None of the above combinations produced a change. When trying to run the Extension the Error message "Looking for the 1Password Helper" appears with every combination.

• stiphout
    stiphout
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Same for me. Installed both betas, one at a time. Neither update helped; getting the same behavior.

I installed Firefox, getting the same behavior there too.

Works fine in Internet Explorer.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I installed Firefox, getting the same behavior there too.

Something is blocking the (WebSockets) connection between the 1Password helper and the 1Password extension in your web browser. Probably anti-virus software. Or a firewall.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/troubleshooting-extensions-win

Works fine in Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer does not use the WebSockets-based approach. Chrome and Firefox and Safari do.

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

I have opened the ports specified in the Firewall and nothing changed.
    Rebooted the computer without the Firewall and nothing changed.
    Booted the computer and turned off the Firewall and nothing changed.
    Still getting the "Looking for the 1Password Helper" Error message

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

I have been trying the 1Password Ext again after trying the Restart helper option. One thing I notice is that as I try and launch 1Password the tab that is my home page which is google.co.uk does an "Aw, Snap".
    After testing it with and without the Firewall is is still failing with "Aw, Snap" every time I try and launch the 1Password extension, both normal and Beta.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Have you tried completely disabling your antivirus software?

• AlexHoffmann
    edited January 2015

Which anti-malware software are you using?

ref: NRF-22777-661

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

McAfee Internet Security

McAfee Security Center Version: 13.6

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Version: 17.6

McAfee Personal Firewall Verison 14.6

All McAfee software is up to date as of 16/01/2015

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Echoing @RichardPayne‌'s question, @MarkAB, have you tried temporarily disabling all of the McAfee products listed, just long enough to tell whether that affects the behavior you described?

• MarkAB
    MarkAB
    Community Member

@DBrown Sorry for the delay in getting back.
    Have tried disabling McAfee completely, the helper will still not run, getting the same error message as before.
    I have access to two other computers that run very similar setup Windows 7, McAfee, Chrome and they have no problems running 1Password.
    As a test I used Safe Mode and 1Password helper ran without problem in Chrome.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Well, I'm no expert on Safe Mode, but it starts Windows with very few nonessential processes running in the background, so the fact that 1Password is working as expected in Safe Mode indicates that one of those "non-safe" processes is causing the problem.

The only solution I know of is to add one of them at a time until you see the problem occur again—the most recently added process (program, utility, add-on, ...) is the culprit.

That said, antivirus/anti-malware/firewall programs are often the culprit, which is why the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article features them in its list of suggestions.

• lmoy
    lmoy
    Community Member

All was working fine for many years and now none of my autofill options work -- neither the credit card info nor the identity fill work or any website.
    I have tried all of the above and nothing works. and DBrown please don't tell us again to go read your article (and the link you guys post just takes us to a generic troubeshoot page)( - it doesn't work.
    It seems that using an antivirus (McAfee) with Chrome doesn't support 1password and since there is no solution besides using Explorer (nope) I'm going to explore using another solution -- websockets blocked or not.

• Hi @lmoy,

We're very sorry about the frustration this is causing you.
    The issue with identity and credit card filling was a bug that was introduced a while ago and that we now believe to have fixed.
    Check for updates to 1Password in the app to get the latest version released earlier today.

I'm rather curious to know which version of McAfee's software you're using, because we haven't received reports of it blocking 1Password for a while (with the exception their enterprise product). Maybe something can be done about this.

Cheers!

• lmoy
    lmoy
    Community Member

@AlexHoffman, I just updated to the latest version (Desktop and Chrome extension) and the CC and Identity fields are working again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad we were able to get that resolved, and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.