Which font in browser add-in dialog box?

emendelson
emendelson
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I use a dual-boot Windows system that boots to Windows XP (actually Windows POSReady 2009, which is the version of XP that is still supported by Microsoft) and Windows 7. When I start the Firefox add-in under Windows 7, the little lock icon on the lower-left button has a down arrow; under XP (POSReady), there's an empty box. It seems that under the font used by the dialog box is missing the down arrow. I've tried copying the Windows 7 versions of Tahoma, MS Sans Serif, and some other fonts into the XP Fonts folder, but that empty box is still there. I'd be grateful to know which font does the dialog box is looking for, so that I can install a later version of it into XP. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@emendelson‌, if you launch the main 1Password program and choose File > Reopen 1Password Vault, how many vaults do you see listed?

Have you opened more than one vault in 1Password for Windows while running XP?

What happens if you click the space where the down-arrow icon is expected?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I have 1Password running on Firefox on both XP and Win7. I have no what you mean by " the little lock icon on the lower-left button has a down arrow;". Could you post a couple of screenshots to illustrate the difference in what you're seeing?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I assume he means this:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Ah, I never see that. I doesn't appear on the Secure Desktop unlock. Why is that @svondutch?
    I'll take a look at it on XP tomorrow when I get in to work.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking about. Here it is under XP:

I know this is fairly trivial, but it would be nice to be able to fix it.

And to answer the question in an earlier post (apologies for not providing the details earlier): I only have one vault, and the icon (with the square box) acts correctly when I click it under XP - it displays the location of the vault. The only issue here is the aesthetic one of seeing a box instead of that down arrow.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@emendelson‌, can you provide the answers to the questions in reply #2, above, in case they contribute to a diagnosis?

Thanks again!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

What language do you have your OS interface set to @emendelson‌?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

doesn't appear on the Secure Desktop unlock. Why is that @svondutch?

I'm guessing that it's because it doesn't appear on the main program's version of the unlock prompt window. (You use the FIle > Open 1Password Vault command, instead.)

The extensions and the main program seem to share the same dialog box for Secure Desktop unlock, though.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

Sorry: I added the answers to reply #2 in an edit before I saw the repeated question. Here's the answer again:

I only have one vault, and the icon (with the square box) acts correctly when I click it under XP - it displays the location of the vault. The only issue here is the aesthetic one of seeing a box instead of that down arrow.

And this is standard US-English Windows XP. It's an absolutely ordinary US-English setup in every possible way. As I said, I tried copying Tahoma and MS Sans Serif from a Windows 7 system into the fonts folder in XP (I've grown accustomed to doing that to fix some XP interface problems with newer software) but it had no effect.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I'm sorry that, XP no longer being a supported OS, I don't have an XP system on which to test the current version of 1Password.

Up until a few months ago, though, I had not seen that problem in XP. Perhaps @RichardPayne will be willing to disable the Unlock on Secure Desktop option long enough to let us know whether he sees the same problem on his system.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I will certainly give it a go.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

True, XP is no longer supported, but POSReady2009 (which is what I actually use - it's still available to MSDN subscribers) is supported until April 2019. Not many people actually use it, but those of us who need XP (for various reasons) but want a fully supported OS are still actively using it. It's XP with a few things left out, but otherwise identical to XP.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion, @emendelson‌. By "XP no longer being a supported OS" I mean supported by AgileBits as an environment for 1Password for Windows, though it's true that it's no longer supported by Microsoft, either (definitely a contributing factor in our decision to drop XP support).

Let's see what @RichardPayne discovers.

(We're very grateful for his generosity in trying to help the few folks we hear from who are still using XP.)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Incidentally, I hope you don't use MS Office because it is specifically not licensed on POSReady where it was on XP.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@emendelson‌ It is Tahoma displaying this Unicode character.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same issue on XP.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

@svondutch: What is strange about this is that the down arrow character is not in the Windows 7 version of Tahoma (or any other version, as far as I can tell), so Windows must be substituting it from somewhere else. Here is the relevant range from Windows 7 Tahoma:

Very puzzling!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@emendelson Windows 7 might be substituting it from Segoe UI.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

@svondutch: 25BE isn't in Segoe UI either, but it must be getting substituted from somewhere. - But you shouldn't waste any more time on this one, since XP/POSReady isn't something that you support, and it's not exactly a major problem in my life...!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for understanding, @emendelson‌. I'm sorry we didn't figure out a solution for you.

• emendelson
    emendelson
    Community Member

For the record, the down-arrow character seems to be substituted from Segoe UI Symbol (in Windows 7 and above). Meanwhile, I'm grateful for the effort that you put in to this extremely small issue.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We always want to help, when we can, @emendelson‌.

Thanks again for using 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.