Old Mac, New iPhone - Recommended Setup?

Good morning, Agile Bitters,

I've been using 1Password happily for some time now (currently 5.0.2 MAS on 10.10.1, late-2013 MBP and 4.5.3 on iOS 7.1.2, iPhone 4; syncing via DropBox). But this isn't about me; this is about my dear mother. I'm weary of being her "living 1Password" and would like to get her set up with the real thing.

She's got an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2 and an iMac (early 2008) running 10.6.8 (I know, I know... I'm working on getting her to upgrade). I understand that 3 is the most recent version of 1Password that can run on 10.6.8, but that due to Dropbox API changes this version of 1Password can no longer be set up to sync with Dropbox. With my mother's current computer setup taken as given, what configuration of software and sync settings would you recommend I instate to allow her to sync 1Password data between her iPhone and iMac?

Any help you can offer in this issue would be gratefully welcomed. Besides her new purchase of 1Password for both Mac and iOS, there's a shiny nickel here with my name on it if we can get this mess to work, and I'm willing to go halfsies.

Yours,
Rob Wilson

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Rob ( @RDW0409‌ ),

First of all, thank you for being a wonderful son and helping your mother stay secure! I'd be happy to help out here.

You're right, 1Password 3 for Mac, is the version that you want for her older Mac. And the good news is that Dropbox will work just fine for 1Password 3 for Mac! It's 1Password 3 for iOS that has problems due to Dropbox's API changes. (Extra not-so-necessary details - 1Password for Mac bypasses the Dropbox API and simply stores the 1Password data in the correct folder and then Dropbox works it's magic.)

So, here's what we need to do:

• Download a legacy copy of 1Password 3 for Mac from our downloads page - just scroll to the bottom of the page to find the older versions
    • Our guide can help you get started.
    • And we have a Dropbox guide to help with setup there.
    • If necessary, you can purchase a license directly from our website - you'll need to purchase a version 5 license, but the email confirmation will include a 1Password 3 license key. If you don't get one, let me know and we'll make it happen!

Of course, 1Password 5 for iOS is available in the iOS App Store, and it's a free download, unless your mother needs to make use of the Pro features.

And you can keep that shiny nickel all to yourself - you deserve it! ;)

This discussion has been closed.