Changes to 1Password not syncing to DropBox anymore

mbernhardt
mbernhardt
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It is possible that this has nothing directly to do with 1Password, but I don't know. I sync via drop box and it has always been fine. Macs at home and a PC here at work. But when I made a couple of changes recently on the Windows side, they did not sync. I just found that there is a syncing issue. I can't figure out how I did it, but I was able to get to a window which showed that only the 1Password files are staying unsynced due to the file types matching some "policy" on my computer. It may have related to Microsoft shared folder synchronization.

As this was never a problem before, I don't know what changed. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As you probably know, @mbernhardt‌, syncing is managed entirely by Dropbox.

You'll need to work with your system administrator to make sure every file and folder within the .agilekeychain folder hierarchy is approved for incoming and outgoing transfer by the Dropbox program on your PC.

Please let us know how it turns out.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

I manage my own computer. It is part of a domain, but I am one of the system administrators so I know that there have been no policy changes. Yet what worked before no longer works. I understand that this has nothing to do with 1Passwords but I guess I was wondering if this issue has come up for anyone else, as all of my other Drop Box files sync without issue.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Not that I've heard of. If you can give us some details of what exactly seems not to be syncing, we'd love to try to figure out what's going on and get things working for you.

• pseils
    pseils
    Community Member

I was looking here for an answer to the same question. I updated the PW for one of my sites a few days ago on one PC.... It has still not populated to the others. I do use Dropbox and I control it all. I checked and cannot see where anything is being restricted. It has been working all along and just seemed to stop syncing recently. If all devices are using the same "vault" how can they be different? All PC's are backing up to their own local drives, should they all be backing up to the same file in Dropbox?

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

Interesting! Maybe it's due to some Windows security update?

• pseils
    pseils
    Community Member

I'm trying one more thing. I noticed that one PC (the one I changed the PW on) is running 1Password 1.0.9.342 and the other is on 4.1.0.530. I am updating the first one to level 4. We'll see.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

All PC's are backing up to their own local drives, should they all be backing up to the same file in Dropbox?

Backups not related to vault storage. They're different things. If you're sure you mean backups, we don't recommend storing your 1Password automatic backups in Dropbox. They're big enough to fill up your Dropbox allotment pretty quickly.

If you actually mean your 1Password vault (the .agilekeychain folder that is the only local copy of your 1Password data), then it must be in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy; otherwise, Dropbox won't sync it to other computers associated with your Dropbox account. It can't—that's how Dropbox works.

I noticed that one PC (the one I changed the PW on) is running 1Password 1.0.9.342 and the other is on 4.1.0.530. I am updating the first one to level 4. We'll see.

Versions 1 and 4 use exactly the same storage format (the .agilekeychain folder), which can be shared between them without issue.

I believe your issue with the new master password on one PC not working to unlock your vault on other PCs means you're not using the same vault on that PC as on the others. On all four PCs, double-check the full path and filename shown on the General tab of 1Password preferences. Everything after the Dropbox "root" folder must be identical.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I tried deleting the 1Password files in DropBox and letting it sync up again. It copied it down, but would not copy back. I can tell because there is one login on my PC which doesn't exist anywhere else. Here's a screen shot from the Microsoft sync service which complains when it can't sync your stuff. I can't imagine what "policies" could be in place to prevent syncing, as it worked for a long time before it started failing. As an experiment, I copied "encryptionkeys.js" onto my DropBox root and it uploaded without issue. When I then deleted it from the web site, it deleted in my local Dropbox folder.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@mbernhardt‌, 1Password does not have an internal database the .agilekeychain folder is the vault. If you delete the .agilekeychain folder, you've deleted the only local copy of your 1Password data. If that .agilekeychain folder was in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy, then the deletion will be replicated on your private dropbox.com web site and on every computer or other device connected to your Dropbox account.

Likewise, if you deleted the .agilekeychain folder on your private dropbox.com web site, it will be deleted from all those computers and devices. It's rarely a good idea to delete your .agilekeychain folder, though you may be able to recover some or all of your data from one of 1Password's automatic backups.

The fact that you deleted an .agilekeychain folder from one computer and can still see it on the others reinforces my idea that you're not looking at the same .agilekeychain folder on those other computers. If you were, I believe it would have to be because one of these is true:

• The one computer is disconnected from the Internet.

• The other three computers are disconnected from the Internet.

• The other three computers are connected to a different Dropbox account than the one computer.

Otherwise, the .agilekeychain folder you deleted anywhere would very quickly be deleted everywhere.

Please launch 1Password on each of the four computers, press Ctrl+P, select the General tab, and record the full path and filename displayed in the 1Password Vault field; then let us know what you find.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I'm well aware of the risk you described. Before I deleted the local folder, I made a copy of the entire dropbox folder. Then I set my account to not sync the Agilebits directory so it wouldn't delete everywhere. Then I deleted it, and then I set my preferences to sync it again so it came back. the issue was with syncing, not with deleting stuff.

Anyway, I have fixed it. After making a copy of the DropBox directory, I

1. Uninstalled drop box

2. set 1password to use a backup copy of the agilebits file system.

3. deleted the local 1password folder

4. Sharepoint asked me if I wanted to continue syncing the 1password folder. So something was messed up there because I never set that up and I thought I deleted Sharepoint long ago. I said no.

5. deleted the local drop box folder completely.

6. reinstalled dropbox

7. set 1Password to use drop box

Now it syncs correctly again.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Sharepoint!

Thanks for the follow-up, @mbernhardt‌. I'm glad to hear you got it working.

This discussion has been closed.