Multiple platforms: which licenses? how to sync?

Mikelowrey
Mikelowrey
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I started the trial with 1Password and so far I like it. Now what I would like to know is the following:

• I am looking to use it on 2 Ipads, 2 Iphones, 1 Windows, and 1 Mac for me and my wife: Can I do it with one account ?
  • What is the best way to keep synchronize between the above devices without too much hassle?

Thank you.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    1. There are no account, just licenses. You'd need 1 Windows, 1 Mac to share between you. There's discounted bundle in the Agilebits store. You'd also 1 iOS license to share as well.

2. Dropbox is the best sync tool. Have a look at the user guides in the support section of the main site.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, indeed. You can get a nice discount on a 1Password for Mac+Windows bundle license in our online store.

You can download 1Password for iOS from the iTunes App Store.

You can read about syncing your 1Password data in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide. There's also a specific article on setting up Dropbox sync.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password, @Mikelowrey‌!

• Mikelowrey
    Mikelowrey
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick reply. Also I would like to know when 1Password for 5 is coming to windows, or it was just an update for the Mac version.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Mac was released long before 1Password 4 for Windows. There are lots of free updates, of course, but I don't expect a major revision (to version 5) any time soon.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@Mikelowrey‌ 1Password 4 for Windows is feature-compatible with 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS.

• solus
    solus
    Community Member

Is 1Password 1 for Windows compatible with v4 and v5 for Mac? I would like to know if they can share the same database on Dropbox and with iOS.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely, @solus‌.

See the user's guide in 1Password on any of those platforms to read about setting up Dropbox sync.

• jbamberger21
    jbamberger21
    Community Member

Question....I have been using he Windows trial and the basic apps on my iOS devices. I am prepping to buy a full Windows license. I know there is a combo Win/Mac license. However, what if I add a Mac down the road? Will you allow for an upgrade of the license to the bundle or would you require at that point purchase of a full Mac license? I don't really want to speculate NOW and buy a combo license now..... Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Having purchased a 1Password for Windows license in our online store, you'll later be able to use that license key in our online store to purchase a 1Password for Mac license. (You would not be able to get a discount purchasing the 1Password for Mac app in the Mac App Store, though, as Apple controls sales in their App Stores and gives us no means of offering discounts for other products purchased there or licensed on other operating systems.)

Thank you for your interest in 1Password!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Probably worth noting that they can do a bundle price manually if you buy the Mac store version first and then add on Windows.

Also worth noting that you can't use iCloud syncing on tge non-Mac store version. Although since you'll also have Windows that shouldn't be a problem since iCloud doesn't support it. You'll be using Dropbox.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Indeed! I was addressing the issue of adding 1Password for Mac after 1Password for Windows and not addressing the issue of iCloud syncing as it's not an option for people using 1Password for Windows.

• solus
    solus
    Community Member

@DBrown Thanks! I've been using Dropbox with 1P for years on the Mac, but I wasn't sure if there were database changes since 1P for Windows (version 1) was released. It's good to hear they're still compatible.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're glad to help, @solus!

• cyrice37
    cyrice37
    Community Member

How would I get the Mac and Windows machine to sync using Wi-Fi instead of DropBox?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

As explained in the Syncing your 1Password data article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, @cyrice37‌:

• Wi-Fi syncing (a manual process) allows 1Password 4 or later for Mac or 1Password 4 for Windows to share and sync your 1Password data (the currently open vault) over a temporary Wi-Fi connection to the 1Password app on a supported mobile device (currently iOS only). 1Password on the Mac and PC will not be syncing directly.
      Mac ←→ iOS
      Windows ←→ iOS
  • jbamberger21
    jbamberger21
    Community Member

Thanks for the help on licensing. all makes even more sense for me now. Regarding syncing, I use a combo of iCloud and wifi. For me, it's easy enough to fire up wi-fi syncing periodically (or when I add a login) to make sure everything is all in sync. I'm not a huge fan of dropbox in general.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

The choice is yours, of course, @jbamberger21‌.

I've been syncing my own 1Password data (and gigabytes of other documents) using Dropbox for years. I'm a happy paying customer. :)

• cyrice37
    cyrice37
    Community Member

@dbrown - Looking at that link beyond the screenshot, I found the answer to my use case. I'm going to be using folders to sync between the computers. I'm not seeing the way to sync to a folder on the Windows instance, only import and export. Is that right?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

I'm not seeing the way to sync to a folder on the Windows instance

On Windows, there is no such thing as Folder Sync because it syncs automatically (if your 1Password Vault is in your cloud directory or on a network share, then it simply works -- there is nothing to configure inside 1Password for Windows).

• cyrice37
    cyrice37
    Community Member

Perfect. That's how I have it set up, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Great! Let us know if you have any other questions, @cyrice37.

This discussion has been closed.