1Password 4 in Win 7: button not working in Firefox and Chrome

Parallaxe
Parallaxe
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have just upgraded from 1Password3 to 1Password4 and replaced the corresponding extensions in Chrome and Firefox. The main application is working, but unfortunately, neither in Chrome nor in Firefox the 1Password button is working anymore. It does appear, but does not react when being clicked:

Clip

Based on what I have found here in the forum, here's what I have tried so far:

• Uninstalled and re-installed the 1Password4 extensions both in Chrome and Firefox
  • Restart 1Password helper in the main application
  • Restarted the 1Password main application
  • Made sure that I am running the most current version of Kaspersky
  • Disabled Kaspersky
  • Checked that "Verify web browser code signature" is active/enabled
  • Checked for the "Verify web browser code signature" entry in the registry
  • Rebooted the PC ...

1Password4 is currently unusable on my machine. What can I do to fix this?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As noted in the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase, one of the first things to try (after disabling your antivirus and similar software) is disabling web browser code signature verification.

Please let us know whether that solves the problem for you.

• Parallaxe
    Parallaxe
    Community Member

That worked, thank you. But why would I disable that? For security reasons it should be enabled (at least to my understanding). Is it still safe to use 1Password? I'm a bit concerned that I have to disable security mechanisms, only to get 1Password working again.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Well, it's only 1Password that you're telling not to verify code signatures for your web browsers. We know it's not ideal, but it has solved this and similar problems for several folks. That's why it's listed in the troubleshooting article, which includes the caution that you "be very careful to obtain browser updates, extensions, and plug-ins only from reputable and trusted sources."

I'll see if I can get you a more comprehensive reply, over the next few days.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@Parallaxe‌, I've gotten some very enlightening information from Dev. I hope this adds sufficient depth to my superficial reply, above.

I've added a new "About security" section to the Disabling code signature verification article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase that I hope will help.

• Parallaxe
    Parallaxe
    Community Member

Thanks a lot DBrown for double-checking. Reading through the new section it sounds as if it's still safe to use 1Password, even with the code signature verification disabled.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

That's the information I've received from Dev, @Parallaxe. Thanks for letting us know it helped!

This discussion has been closed.