Not able to get 1Password to auto-fill in IE

doubleb62
doubleb62
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I must really be missing something but the primary function of autofilling does not work at all. Windows 7, IE 11. I don't see a 1Password button in the toolbar. When I go to the 1 Password website to see if I have the extension, there is no extension for Internet Explorer, yet 1Password claims to support IE. What a complete waste of time. Guess I will go back to Keeper.

Comments

• doubleb62
    doubleb62
    Community Member

This Program is a waste, but now it won't even let me uninstall it. Everytime I attempt to uninstall, it opens itself so Windows will not allow an uninstall inf the program is running.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I don't see a 1Password button in the toolbar.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/missing-toolbar-button

When I go to the 1 Password website to see if I have the extension, there is no extension for Internet Explorer, yet 1Password claims to support IE.

Correct, we support IE. The extension for IE comes pre-installed with the product. This is why there is no extension available for download.

Everytime I attempt to uninstall, it opens itself so Windows will not allow an uninstall in the program is running.

You might want to lock 1Password and then try again. If you still cannot uninstall, then I would love to hear about your steps. Thanks!

• doubleb62
    doubleb62
    Community Member

I rebootEd and was able to remove. The program has a beautiful UI But unfortunately it just would not work for me at all. I couldn't get it to auto fill a single site. Glad I didn't sped $50.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@doubleb62, you'll probably be a lot more successful using 1Password after taking just a few minutes to read the Quick Start section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide. It contains the absolute minimum information you need, in order to use 1Password.

If you still decide not to use 1Password, you'll be more successful uninstalling it by following the instructions in the Uninstalling 1Password article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase.

That said, we'd love to help you learn how to use 1Password, if you're willing to give us a chance.

Either way, thanks for your interest in 1Password!

• doubleb62
    doubleb62
    Community Member

I read the guide. I tried editing the entries but it just won't auto fill. Too bad because 1password is only one I could find that allows a local backup. Wish I could've gotten it to work but it shouldn't require that much work to make it work.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@doubleb62‌ For security reasons, we never auto-fill anything. Filling your logins always requires either a click on the 1Password button in your web browser, or the Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut.

• doubleb62
    doubleb62
    Community Member

I tried that and it didn't work. I don't understand not auto filling. It auto fills on the iPhone app.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The for not auto filling is that it makes possible various attacks that allow malicious sites to steal multiple sets of your credentials without your knowledge.
    I don't know why the iOS app would auto-fill. Maybe the iOS version of Safari has protections that make the aforementioned exploits less of a risk.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

1Password does not detect your browser's arrival on a web page and automatically fill and submit the login form. I had thought you meant you weren't able to get 1Password to fill the form at all. (Most people don't distinguish between the two.)

As @svondutch and @RichardPayne write, you have to indicate to 1Password (in any of the ways you can do that) that you want it to fill and submit the form.

• doubleb62
    doubleb62
    Community Member

I understand the difference. 1Password would not fill at all. It simply would not perform its primary function. I guess you can close this now as I am not going to spend any more time trying to get this to work. I will have to find a program that will work for me.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Of course, @doubleb62‌—we understand.

If you decide to let us help you figure out the problem, you can always download the free 30-day trial again.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.