No save prompt for changed password in Internet Explorer

(Off-topic - I can't find anywhere for proper support on the web site, is that because I am using the Trial version?)

I am testing 1Password for business use. So far I like it a lot, but cannot get it to save changed passwords in Internet Explorer 11. The initial creation of a login works fine, but then when I go to change the password to a more complex one there is no prompt, so the website password and the 1password password are out of sync. This happens on all the sites I have tested so far. The Chrome extension works perfectly but we use IE as our main browser.

I have seen other posts which basically advise copying and pasting the new password manually into the 1password vault but that is not an acceptable solution as it would be too easy to forget and then have no record of the changed password.

Any reason why the IE extension should not work where the Chrome one does?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

There's no difference between the trial version and a licensed installation, @sm2015‌—you've come to the right place for "proper support." :)

The extension for Internet Explorer is built completely independently and (thanks to Microsoft) using quite different technology from the extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

First, are you following the procedure described in the Changing a save password article in the Quick Start section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide?

If you are, can you tell us a couple of URLs for sites for which you have saved a Login item in 1Password but the 1Password extension fails to offer to update that Login item when you visit the site's "change password" page?

• sm2015
    sm2015
    Community Member

I am not used to having to post in forums to get enterprise support for commercial products - I am surprised that this is the only option. To answer your question: yes, I am following the user guide procedure. As the first two websites I tried didn't work, I stopped testing at that point - these were www.lindy.co.uk and uk.farnell.com. Both of these work OK in Chrome.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

It's not the only place, @sm2015‌—we do have e-mail support, but the inflow is so high that you'll almost always get help more quickly in the forums, where you also have the benefit of thousands of knowledgeable fellow users who might offer advice while we're all asleep, though, spread as it is across multiple time zones on both sides of the Atlantic, the AgileBits team tends to be online nearly around the clock.

I just created an account on the lindy.co.uk site. I confirmed that 1Password does not detect the password change, as you report, and I was also unable to get 1Password to fill in the login form using my saved credentials, even using auto-type. I'll report the problem to Dev.

Thanks for letting us know!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@Dbrown If it's any use, Lindy worked fine for me with IE11.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The change-password detection, as well as logging in, @RichardPayne?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Oops, sorry. Must take more time to read. No, I didn't actually create an account.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's OK—I made the same mistake, at first. :blush:

Thanks so much for your assistance!

• sm2015
    sm2015
    Community Member

Having done some further testing, I have found several other websites where 1Password either fails to recognise and save the initial login or fails to prompt after the password has been changed. Although I like it as a product, it just doesn't work reliably enough for the sites I use. It may be that these sites have their idiosyncrasies, but other password managers seem to cope with them so I'm afraid I will be using an alternative product. Thanks for your help, anyway.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We understand, @sm2015‌.

Thank you for considering 1Password!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

cannot get it to save changed passwords in Internet Explorer 11

@sm2015 I have added this to version 4.1.0.BETA-544

This discussion has been closed.