What are Dropbox and 1Password Helper, and why wasn't the helper installed?

Serra55
Serra55
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I don't know what dropbox is, but I'd like to know.

I am getting an error message which says I need 1Password helper. I don't know how to get it, and it says it needs to attach it to an application, and I don't know how to do that either.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

You can read all about Dropbox on their web site. Simply put, Dropbox is a tool that "watches" a specific folder on your local computer, detecting changes to the files and subfolders stored within that specific folder, replicating those changes on your private dropbox.com web site, and replicating those changes to any other computers or mobile devices connected to the same Dropbox account. In 1Password's case, the files and subfolders make up your 1Password vault, so that additions, modifications, and deletions in your 1Password data are synced automatically to 1Password on all those computers and mobile devices where 1Password is installed and configured to sync that vault.

You can read all about the 1Password helper in this article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase. Simply put, it facilitates communication between the 1Password browser extensions and the main 1Password program.

There are a number of things that could cause the "looking for the helper" message, the most common being third-party antivirus software. You need to follow the troubleshooting tips in this article in the knowledgebase.

I hope that helps, @Serra55‌. Please let us know how it goes.

• Serra55
    Serra55
    Community Member

I have 1Password 3 for Windows; upon checking, it indicates that is the latest version. ? Thanks for the info @DBrown‌

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 1 for Windows should mention the availability of the next version, 1Password 4 for Windows. If it doesn't, you can read about pricing in this article, which includes a download link.

This discussion has been closed.