Sync using Sugar Sync Or Dropbox

watchguy16143
watchguy16143
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? I have a data base to share with other users, have shared the folder that contains One Password however the people I've shared it with can not open the data base. Either the 1password greys out the folder and won't allow it to be opened. If we map the folder, it doesn't grey it out, but it says it's not a valid one password vault and something about changing the master password in the MAC version might correct this problem.

If the users copies the folder to their local drive it works just fine however this won't work for us because we all need to be able to add and update passwords.

I can't do this through Drop Box because I have personal things in there and a personal 1password vault there. If there is a way to share both vaults that way I haven't figured it out, I can only share 1 vault through Drop Box. If this isn't true I need help figuring it out. I also sync my personal vault to my IPhone. It would be great to be able to have access to both vaults on my IPhone again.

I started this out as 1 vault but realized, after many years, I should be sharing the company data with others in my company and obviously keeping my personal data personal.

We are using the Windows version of 1 password.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Sorry for the confusion, @watchguy16143‌—you definitely can share just one vault through Dropbox. (For the record, there'd be no harm in their having a copy of your other vault, as long as they didn't know the master password to open that vault.)

Let's say you have two vaults: MeOnly and ToBeShared. To share the ToBeShared vault:

1. Quit 1Password for Windows, and close all web browsers.

2. In Windows, open your local Dropbox folder:

3. Find the folder that contains a folder named ToBeShared.agilekeychain.

4. Create a new Windows folder named DropboxShare (or something like that).

5. Drag the ToBeShared.agilekeychain folder into the DropboxShare folder.

6. Right-click on the DropboxShare folder, and choose Share this folder.

Important: Make sure you choose the command with the Dropbox icon next to it, as shown.

7. Your Dropbox account will open in a browser window, where you enter the Dropbox accounts with which you want to share this folder.

This is a feature of Dropbox, and you can get help with the feature from them. Basically, you'll just need the Dropbox usernames of the co-workers who need access to the ToBeShared vault.

The people you identify in that browser window will receive invitations to share the DropboxShare folder. When they accept, the folder (and all its contents, including the _ ToBeShared.agilekeychain_ folder) will be copied to their local Dropbox storage areas. Once you tell them the master password for the ToBeShared vault, they'll have full access to it, the same as yours. Through the magic of Dropbox, any changes they make in the ToBeShared vault will be replicated automatically on all the other computers associated with their Dropbox accounts and on the computers of all the other folks with whom you've shared the DropboxShare folder, including yours.

As for the "not a valid 1Password vault" message, I can only guess that either you hadn't selected a .agilekeychain folder, or some side effect of the sync tool you were using altered the .agilekeychain folder in some way that left it unusable by 1Password. Dropbox is the only cross-platform sync tool tested for use with 1Password.

• watchguy16143
    watchguy16143
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. You gave great information. I have other private information in Dropbox, not just 1password. We did get this working. Thanks for the help!

Chuck

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always glad to help, Chuck—thanks for letting us know it's working for you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

By the way, Chuck, did you know that a 1Password for Windows license purchased in 2014 or even 2013 will get you a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows in our online store? A license purchased in 2012 or earlier will get you a nice discount on the upgrade, too!

Please see the Upgrading from version 1 article for details.

Thanks for using 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.