"Important component is missing" message

jmathine
jmathine
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am getting the attached message when trying to access my passwords. I do not want to uninstall/reinstall until I know my passwords are saved somewhere. I was able to use 1password yesterday and have had the same AV running both days. Can I access my passwords online somewhere?

Comments

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

I am very concerned about recovering my passwords before trying a re-install. Is there a phone number I can call for support? I see many other topics being addressed but mine keeps getting pushed down.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Patience young padawan! ;-)

The uninstall process will not touch your data. Just uninstall and then re-install.

That said, there no harm in taking a backup. Just copy the .agilekeychain folder to another location; your desktop for example.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I see many other topics being addressed but mine keeps getting pushed down.

Most of us on the AgileBits team try to address threads in the forum in chronological order. Your question starts at the top of the list (which is displayed in reverse chronological order—last message first) and moves down as we work our way through older questions and as other people add new questions.

As explained in the Requirements article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, be sure to use a Windows account that has "admin" privileges when you run the 1Password installer.

It may, indeed, be necessary to disable all antivirus and anti-malware software temporarily, so the installer can complete its task.

I hope that helps, @jmathine‌. Please let us know how it goes.

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

I apologize for my impatience. I'm just very concerned about losing all of my passwords. @Richardpayne, is this the folder you are talking about?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

No. It will likely be called 1Password.agilekeychain. You can find it by looking in the registry.

1) Run regedit.exe from the start menu's run box

2) Navigate the tree on the left to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AgileBits\1Password 4

3) The your keychain location is in the Location value on the right hand side.

Be very careful in regedit though. Use the mouse rather the keyboard to navigate. I don't think you can break anything unless you use the keyboard and make a mistake.

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

I have found the attached folder that appears to be the folder you are talking about. I'm concerned that the date modified is 11/4/14. I know I've saved new passwords since then. Is it possible it does not actually change the date modified when adding new passwords?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You can also use standard Windows "search" to look for your-vault's-name.agilekeychain.

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

Is there a file I can try to look for within that folder that would confirm the necessary data is in that folder? I apologize for all the questions, I'm just nervous to uninstall before I know I have made a copy of the correct data.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yes, modified dates don't propagate up the folder tree.

1) The agilekeychain folder's modified date shouldn't ever change.
    2) If you look at the modified date of the data/default folder inside the keychain, its modified date should be the date of the last time you added a new item.
    3) If you look inside the data/default folder and order the files by date modified, the last item in the list should have the date of the last edit you made to an item (including adds).

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

Ok, I have made a copy of that folder on a flash drive and will try to install on my home laptop tonight. I'm currently on my work PC.
    Fingers crossed!
    Thank you for the quick responses this afternoon! I appreciate it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Be careful with your .agilekeychain folder, @jmathine. It's the only place your 1Password data exists (although you may be able to recover some or all of it from one of 1Password's automatic backups, assuming you haven't disabled that feature).

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

Fortunately I was able to get back up and running from an automatic backup from a couple days ago. A sigh of relief!
    Now I'm having a problem with my license key. After entering my license key it gives me the attached error message.

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

I guess I was running an older version of 1Password. I'm fine with paying for an upgrade, but when I click on the upgrade link I get this error message.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Which "upgrade" link, @jmathine‌? Do you mean one of the buttons in our online store?

This article contains important information about free and discounted pricing for the upgrade. Be sure to read it first.

• jmathine
    jmathine
    Community Member

After I installed 1password 4 and entered my license key (purchased in 2011), I received the message 2 posts prior. When I clicked on the "click here to upgrade your license in the 1password store" it went to the "Oops" page. The article you sent gave me a good link to the store for a discounted upgrade.
    All of my issues have been resolved. You guys have been very helpful and I apologize again for the impatience in the beginning.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @jmathine‌—thanks for letting us know.

Thanks, too, for choosing 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.