Can't Sync with Win 7

I use a Mac, an Android Smart Phone and a Win 7 PC. Each has Dropbox and 1Password installed. I did the File-> Preferences-> Move to Dropbox thing on the PC and should be all set.

The Mac and phone sync nicely, but the Win 7 doesn't. The PC neither receives information from the Mac or Phone, nor do these devices receive entries I make on the PC.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Sorry for the confusion, @PML‌, but the Move to Dropbox button does just that: it moves whatever vault you're using into the Dropbox folder hierarchy on your local drive, so Dropbox will automatically start syncing it to other computers and devices associated with your Dropbox account. You weren't yet using a Dropbox-synced vault when you clicked that button, so it's a separate vault from any used on the other platforms.

At this point, you have one vault on your PC and another (or maybe two more!) on your Mac and phone. Before you create any more items in 1Password on any of the platforms, you should get all of them using the same vault.

Is there a complete vault on any of the three platforms? In other words, does 1Password on your Mac, your PC, or your phone have all of your Login items and other saved data?

• PML
    PML
    Community Member

I guess I'm not visualizing the architecture properly. I assumed each of my three platforms has its own vault and the three platform each sync their vault with the other two to keep all three identical. I really haven't built up any significant content at this point and can start over. In what order should I do that?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password for Mac has an internal database. If you select Dropbox syncing, 1Password for Mac creates a special folder (typically named 1Password.agilekeychain) in the local Dropbox storage on that Mac, which Dropbox automatically copies to your private dropbox.com web site. If you then set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password for iOS, it uses special procedures to copy your 1Password data from the 1Password.agilekeychain on your private dropbox.com web site into its internal database. If you set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Android, it similarly finds the 1Password.agilekeychain folder and uses that data to load its internal database. If you have Dropbox on your PC, Dropbox automatically copies the 1Password.agilekeychain folder to your PC's local Dropbox storage. 1Password for Windows doesn't have an internal database—it actually reads and writes data directly from and to that 1Password.agilekeychain folder on your PC. Any changes you make on any of those platforms are automatically replicated on your private dropbox.com web site and, almost immediately, replicated on all the other platforms associated with the same Dropbox account.

Given that information, I'd say the easiest way to go would be to use your Mac as the "foundation" vault. In 1Password for Mac, reproduce anything you have in 1Password on the phone or PC, and then disable Dropbox sync, letting 1Password delete your data from Dropbox, when asked. Then open your local Dropbox folder in Finder on your Mac, look for any remaining .agilekeychain "packages" (a special kind of folder in OS X that looks like a single file), and delete them. Clear your 1Password data on your phone, as well. Then set up Dropbox sync again in 1Password for Mac. It'll create a new 1Password.agilekeychain folder (well, package) that Dropbox will automatically copy up to your private dropbox.com web site. You can open that 1Password.agilekeychain folder in 1Password for Android and in 1Password for Windows.

As a test, create a Secure Note item on each platform, naming them Mac, Phone, and PC (or something similar, so you can identify them easily), and making sure all three of them show up on all three platforms. Then you'll know all is syncing correctly through the magic of Dropbox.

I hope that helps, @PML. Please let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.