Support Firefox Nightly Builds! Currently Dissatisfied with 1Password Browser Plugin for Firefox:

The Firefox Browser Plugin does not work reliably on current Nightly Builds
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 ID:20150122030202 CSet: 34e2d2bd7ec4

My experience is that the plugin does work on some builds and breaks on others.
Since I use the nightly builds for my daily browsing that is REALLY annoying,
since KeePass and KeeFox do not break as often (need to use them at my company)
I'm just short of abandoning 1Password, although I like its functions a lot (if the browser plugin works)

Best regards; Martin Forisch

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why would you expect any company to support nightly builds? Its a moving target that needs constant work to keep up with.

My experience is that the plugin does work on some builds and breaks on others.

Welcome to nightly builds. This is par for the course and if you're not prepared to accept this you really shouldn't use nightly builds.

Since I use the nightly builds for my daily browsing that is REALLY annoying

The byline on the Firefox nightly builds site reads "These builds are for testing purposes only". Ie: NOT for daily browsing use! I'd suggest that the only exception is if you are actively working on fixes for the Firefox codebase. If this exception applies to you then why don't you submit a fix to the reversion that caused the 1Password plugin to break.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@EuForisch‌, thanks for letting us know your preference.

As noted in the user's guide (Requirements article) and in the 1Password main program (Browsers tab of preferences), though, 1Password is tested and supported with stable-channel builds of the various browsers for which we create extensions.

That said, we do our best to keep up with changes in all the browsers, which is why "the plugin does work on some builds."

• EuForisch
    EuForisch
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Hi @RichardPayne‌ your comment is not helpful. (you really got me agitated)

Being a Nightly Channel user, and active Nightly bug reporter, ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/user_profile?user_id=519728 )
    I **know ** what it is supposed to be used for.

I know that it is a kind of: It breaks, you own the pieces type of software.

OTOH if I do NOT the Firefox Nightly use it for at least some of my normal browsing,
    then how am I supposed to help in bullet-proofing Firefox?

I do report bugzilla bugs, against Firefox for the stuff I find.

I am a paying 1password customer, so I think that I should give AgileBits notice if I'm not satisfied with the product and the support they provide.

They still can choose to ignore me (it's their business decision to do so),
    or AgileBits could think about their policies and change them if they think its important enough.

Remember in all support cases there is a majority of folks who just silently go, if they are dissatisfied.
    For all support organizations it, would be a rather bad choice to ignore the vocal minority.

Just my 0.2 cent.
    BRG, Martin

PS: Edit: I do not think AgileBits ignores the vocal minority, on the contrary from what I see here the interaction is quite speedy and lively

• EuForisch
    EuForisch
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Hi @DBrown‌
    thank you very much for your reply.

I do know that AgileBits is actively working on the browser support,
    did not mean to be disrespectful of the work you do.

The real reason for starting to be interested in this type of software is:

• I'm in the process to select a solution that I then in turn will need to support for my 'elders' (i.e. older folks in my extended family)

• With the intention of:
    1. Making my elders more secure in their internet interactions, with secure passwords being a top priority
    2. Having critical contract, account information available to the whole family in an encrypted secure fashion.

That I got sidetracked into nightlies and beta versions,

.. well that just happened. :D

Thinking of the original purpose that started all this reminds me that I did have a open question on the licensing model, need to dig that out and will post that question as a new one.

As I said other password managers (free/open source) currently do a better job in keeping up with the Firefox nightly development stream.

The last publicly visible statement from an agile bits employee on bugzilla for bug (1password on nightlies with e10s enabled)
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1042195 was back in November 2014.
    I do understand that there may be other priorities and business choices that may preclude more publicly visible work on bugzilla, and the nightlies,
    but from my point of view it would be just nice to see the occasional acknowledgement from AgileBits on bugzilla.

I do test not only the Firefox Nighties, but also the beta versions of 1Password 4 and the Firefox plugin

Current combination:

• Firefox:Mozilla/5.0 Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 ID:20150123030203 CSet: 494632b9afed
    • 1Password Plugin for Firefox 4.3.0.b7
    • 1Password 4.1.0.BETA-535
    • 1Password 3 for Mac
    • 1Password for Android (non beta release level)
    • 1Password for ios (non beta release level)
    • Dropbox sync

And I'm happy to report that the Windows/Firefox combination does partly work, although still some issues with filling in passwords.

I would be glad to work with you directly on any issues that I find on a best effort basis from both sides.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards from Austria/Vienna

Martin

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If it were me, I'd stick with stable builds of Firefox, but as long as you understand that the 1Password extension may or may not work with nightly builds the choice, of course, is yours.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@EuForisch I was not trying to stop you from commenting, nor will my reply stop Agilebits from seeing your comments.

I'm glad you want to help them improve 1Password, but I stand by my previous point. Expecting any extension providing company to support nightly builds is unrealistic. The fix/release cycle would be insane. The fact that the other password managers work more reliably does not mean that they are supporting nightly builds. It just means that the changes submitted to Firefox are not interfering with them. Next month it might be the other way around.

That all said, are you running with code signature verification turned off:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/disabling-code-sig-verification

This discussion has been closed.