Trojan horse in 1pasword for windows setup file?

hvhspam
hvhspam
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have used 1 password (version 4.0.0.499) for windows in windows 8 and for Android on kitkat. Because I had a new laptop coming, I decided to not upgrade to the newest version on my old laptop. Today I tried to install the newest version of 1password for windows on a windows 8.1 laptop. Downloading worked, but as soon as I wanted to install, my virusscanner (comodo version 8.0.0.4344) popped up. It broke off the installation of 1password and communnicated about a 'cloudscanner.trojan.gen@2@1'. After scanning the 1password file and thoroughly scanning my laptop it found nothing. I tried to download and install again, same result.

I have 2 questions:

• Is the 1password setup file corrupt?
  • How do I install 1password on my new laptop?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015

All virus scanners will occasionally flag a file incorrectly (a False Positive). You can test with multiple virus scanners to verify the file and override your scanner. Use the Jotti service:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

to upload and test the file. Once you are satisfied, disable the virus scanner for the installation, and/or whitelist the installer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

If you're downloading the file from our web site, you should be fine.

The direct link for the current non-beta build:

Of course, @MrC's suggestion (to reassure yourself that no one has "gotten between" you and us) is solid.

• hvhspam
    hvhspam
    Community Member

Thanks both for your reaction! The direct link gives the same malware message. The Jotti online scan shows 20 positive results and 2 malware results. Combining the 2 I conclude a false positive.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Great! We've not had any other reports of "infection" that I can recall.

That said, there's never any harm in checking the download, but you may have to disable your "protection" to run the installer successfully.

This discussion has been closed.