One-time password on Windows

I just read the blog post (https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/01/26/totp-for-1password-users/) about the one-time password feature being available for windows and iOS but I don't see where or how to do that in the windows software. I checked the userguide and I didn't see anything either.

Is it really just (for now) an iOS feature and the addition to windows is just that the one-time password info will sync to windows? Also, when's this coming to Android?

Thanks!

Comments

• mtucker
    mtucker
    Community Member

I have the same question. It's in the release notes, and after confirming the version number after upgrading, I don't see any options in the UI, or anything in the documentation.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'll get it into the documentation as soon as possible; in the meantime, please see this discussion in the 1Password for Windows (Beta) forum.

(TOTP only just got added to the stable build.)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

I don't see any options in the UI

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Locate your Login item
    4. Double-click on it (or press the Pencil button)
    5. Click on "Add Section" and give it a name (for example: "2-step verification")
    6. Inside your newly created section, click on the button labelled "Add"
    7. Click on: "One-time password"
    8. Paste your OTP secret into the edit box (or click on the icon and then paste it into the edit box labelled "Secret")
    9. Press OK

1Password should generate and display your TOTP in detail view. From here, you can copy your TOTP to the clipboard, or auto-type it into another application (probably your web browser).

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

@DBrown‌ Thanks for the quick reply. Isn't documentation supposed to come first :)

Also, any word when this is coming to Android?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

In a perfect world, software wouldn't need documentation or support, and I'd be out of work. :)

I don't have any information about plans for 1Password for Android, though it seems like a reasonable assumption, given the current level of excitement about TOTP.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Thanks @svondutch dI just spent some period of time looking at both the application and the documentation before assuming the feature was broken and coming to the forums to research. Turns out it's not broken, just not documented at all and not at all intuitive (I've never added another section before, don't really even know what they do).

I've now added a TOTP to one of my logins and it displays correctly within 1Password. How do I get it to auto-type or submit into a webform?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I've now added a TOTP to one of my logins and it displays correctly within 1Password. How do I get it to auto-type or submit into a web form?

1. Start your web browser
    2. Click on the 1Password button
    3. Unlock
    4. Locate your Login item (in an ideal world, it should be at the top of the 1Password popup menu, otherwise you can search for it)
    5. Right-click on your Login item (or press Tab while the mouse cursor is over it)
    6. A new sub-menu appears. From here, you can copy your TOTP to the clipboard, and then paste it where you need it.
  • wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Thanks, I'd assumed that 1Pass could/would enter it during form submission but can obviously copy/paste instead before submitting the form (less relevant for places where the 2FA is on a second page). Cheers

• Hi @wraith,

I'd assumed that 1Pass could/would enter it during form submission

That's one of things we'd like to do in the future for the extension, to fill in the code like it does with the username and password.

We're just getting started with the TOTP feature, expect it to get more easier to use as we continue to iterate with more improvements in 1Password and the browser extensions.

This discussion has been closed.