Moving to fast for me?

Options
martinandme
martinandme
Community Member

Dear Support,
"never touch a running system" is one of my favorite mottos and risking not being able to deliver work in time is a nightmare for me. After hesitating for quite a while a upgraded my Mac to 10.9.5 just now and while doing so I found 1PW exactly what I was looking for! I downloaded 4.4.3 from the Agilebits store, since I could not find this version on the Mac App Store - but I would still want to use the iCloud feature and the Mobile Sync - so what to do now, since 5.2 is only running on Yosemite? I am kind of confused (which I am anyway most of the times). I would not mind syncing manually via WiFi for some iPad we use within the family - but even after reading for some hours I don´t seem to get any further on how to start this properly with all the licensing and the different OS Versions...
Any guided help on this would be greatly appreciated,
cheers,
Martin

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martinandme‌

Given all the scenarios it can be a little confusing but thankfully you've popped into the forums and asked - a pretty good way of getting an answer :smile:

If your heart is set on iCloud and you believe that at some point in the not too distant future that you will be running Yosemite and iOS 8 on all of your machines and devices then there is a workaround. If you have access to a Yosemite machine at all where you can sign into the Mac App Store you can purchase 1Password 5. Now obviously that doesn't sound very useful as you're running Mavericks at home and 1Password 5 is Yosemite only. Here's the trick though. By purchasing 1Password 5 it's in your Purchases history in the Mac App Store. Now, if you download 1Password on a Mavericks machine the App Store will realise you can't run 1Password 5 and ask if you wish to download the last compatible version which was 1Password 4. It works, I've done it myself.

So say you have a good friend that runs Yosemite on their machine.

1. You'd log them out of the Mac App Store.
    2. Log yourself into the Mac App Store.
    3. Purchase 1Password 5.
    4. Stop 1Password 5 downloading.
    5. Log out of the Mac App Store.

Back on your Machine you would:

1. Open the Mac App Store and change to the Purchases tab.
    2. Click the DOWNLOAD button opposite 1Password.
    3. Confirm you wish to download the compatible version.

Now this only works with Mavericks I believe even though we did briefly release 1Password 3 via the App Store.

Until you're running Yosemite and iOS 8 everywhere you could use Wi-Fi Sync and then change. Now Wi-Fi Sync has gone through a lot of improvements of late but as you'd be running 1Password 4 you'll be denied a good deal of them.

Now if you won't be running Yosemite and iOS 8 any time soon or don't know of a friend with Yosemite to help you out then sadly you are pretty much limited to our store. That would eliminate iCloud Sync in the future as our Agile Web Store version simply isn't allowed to access CloudKit, Apple's iCloud framework for syncing in Yosemite and iOS 8. Neither is it possible to purchase the Web Store version now and migrate to the MAS (Mac App Store) version as that functionality simply doesn't exist unless Apple chooses to implement it.

Have you considered Dropbox at all? It's similar to iCloud but it works over a larger number of platforms and OS versions and doesn't have the same restrictions as iCloud. Ask as many questions as you like, we'll do our best to answer them.

• martinandme
    martinandme
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ littlebobbytables,

First of all please take my deepest apologies for not getting back to you much, much earlier. Three small kids and working as a freelance just magically makes time disappear without you even noticing it - it is frustrating at times.

Everything worked out just the way you had described it and by now I would be totally lost in the net if I did not have 1Password - that´s for sure!

So I wanted to thank you very, very much for you taking the time and the efforts of helping me through my questions - this is truly deeply appreciated!

So cheers from Hamburg and have a wonderful week to come,

Martin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martinandme,

I'm glad everything worked out and that you've been able to concentrate on the real matters rather than the tools needed, after all that's how it should be :smile: Should you ever have any other issues or questions you know how to find us :smile:

So from the UK, thank you for your kind words and I hope your week is just as wonderful!

As far as children go, I don't know how parents do it. I don't think I wake up with enough energy to be responsible for even one let along three - you have my admiration.

• martinandme
    martinandme
    Community Member
    Options

Being admired just makes me take off for the weekend! :)

Have a wonderful weekend,

Thanks and cheers,

Martin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.