Multiple Page Login when the second page has the same URL as the first

Options

I save the username as one login. Then I save the password as the second login. But when I try to use them, the second page has the same URL as the first page, so I get asked for my username again and nothing works. I have tried to remove the URL from the second login, but that removes the second login from my login list. Any solutions?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

How did you create the two Login items, @sbroth?

Did you create them manually in the main 1Password program or save them manually as described in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase?

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the instructions religiously. I don't know how my financial institution can use the same URL for two different pages, but somehow they do. When I check the URLs listed for the logins in 1Password 4, they are identical and they appear identical in the address block of the web pages as well, (although the web page and the 1Password 4 login are not identical).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What's the URL of the login form, @sbroth?

If the username and password prompt have the same URL, I'd have expected 1Password to offer both Login items at both prompts, so that you'd have to choose which one to use, each time.

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

https://countyla.gwrs.com/login.do is the login url. When I put both username and PIN on the same 1Password login form, 1Password enters the username in the first page username blank and moves me to the second page. On the second page, the cursor sits in the blank PIN field, but no PIN is entered. I have no way of calling in the PIN from 1Password. I have never gotten a choice of entries from 1Password.

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

Now I am having the same problem with another two-page login at TIAA-CREF.org.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

I can't observe the behavior of the page at either of those sites, because they demand a valid username before displaying the password prompt. :(

Please try this at the TIAA-CREF site:

1. At the username prompt, enter your username, but don't submit the form.
    2. Click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, and choose Settings > Save New Login.
    3. Type TIAA-CREF - Username in the top field, and click on the Save button.
    4. Enter your username again, if necessary.
    5. Submit the form.
    6. At the password prompt, enter your password, but don't submit the form.
    7. Click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, and choose Settings > Save New Login.
    8. Type TIAA-CREF - Password in the top field, leave the second field set to Create new Login, and click on the Save button.

Based on your statement that both prompts appear at the same URL, you should now have two Login items with the same URL.

The next time you visit the site and press Ctrl+\ or click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, the 1Password extension should display both Login items that match that URL:

• TIAA-CREF - Password
    • TIAA-CREF - Username

Choose the appropriate Login item for the prompt being displayed.

Thanks for your help, @sbroth. Please let us know how it goes.

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

I was so hopeful when I got your response. It sounded so sensible. But no, it didn't work. Being careful to do it exactly as you prescribed, the username worked fine and took me to the password page. But when I used the password login, it simply took me back to the username page. If I interrupted the cycle by manually entering the password, it worked fine, but if I tried to use the 1Password tool, it just cycled me back to the username page. This was true for both LA County and TIAA-CREF. Ah, well. Any other recommendations? I do appreciate your efforts, but I am getting discouraged.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any other recommendations?

Have you tried turning OFF auto-submit for these Login items?

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea, but it doesn't work on either of the problem login systems. Alas.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

@sbroth, when you get to the password prompt, just press Ctrl+\.

If you have saved two Login items with the same URL, the 1Password extension will offer both in a small menu.

Click on the TIAA-CREF - Password Login item in that menu.

Please let us know how that works for you.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

Any other recommendations?

Here's something that worked for me with a troublesome web site. No guarantees, but it's something else to try. The idea is to merge the two login items (username and password), like this.

In the 1Password main app, click on the TIAA-CREF - Username item, then in the gray bar across the middle click the pencil icon (edit) and look at the field values. Click on the one that has your user name, click the pencil item to see the details, and write them down: Name: xzy Value: abcd Type: text Designation: username. Cancel twice to get out. Now click on the TIAA-CREF - Password item, click pencil to edit, and towards the bottom click the + symbol to add a new line, using the Name, Value, Type, and Designation you wrote down from the other (username). Click OK twice, and now the TIAA-CREF - Password item contains both the password and the username. Now go back to the TIAA-CREF - Username item, click the pencil, then near the top click the Edit URL pencil, and alter the URL there (in particular change the .com into .foo) the purpose of this is to temporarily disable this login item without losing any of the data stored in it, so only the TIAA-CREF - Password login item will recognize the URL.

Now visit your URL at https://countyla.gwrs.com/login.do and type Ctrl+\ (it should fill the username) and click the submit button. When it shows the password form, again type CTRL+\ and see if it fills the password. If it does, click submit and you're in. If not, in the login entry in the main 1Password app, to the right of the password click the box with the capital-I cursor symbol and it should type in the password so you can get in.

Good luck.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @bkh!

That method and another are included in the "multiple-page Login" article, as well:

Tip: You may be able to edit one of your saved Logins to contain all the fieldname-value pairs stored above, essentially creating a single Login item that works for all the pages in the sequence. You could also create a Login in the main program, defining the username and password values by hand. This strategy often works with sites that have only two pages in the login sequence, and there’s no harm in trying, if you’re interested in reducing the number of Login items in your vault for some reason. If the username page and the password page are in different domains, you may need to manually add the URL of the password page to the Login you create or edit in the main 1Password program, so the 1Password extension will be able to match it to both pages.

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

Finally. I have to try the other hints, but using the "two-option" route worked. There was one small problem at first. Pressing "CTRL+" just enlarged my page (running Chrome on Windows 7). But I noticed that for the multipage logins, without pressing any special keys, there were two options at the top of the 1Password menu. Choosing one of these options solved my problem. If I choose instead one of the options from the normal login list, my problem remains. But choosing one of the options at the head of the menu simply works. Thank you all for your help. I have noticed that many websites now have multiple page logins, so this has become an important issue. I will try it on all such websites and keep you informed if I have any further problems. Again, thanks for your help.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sbroth the Logins at the top at the menu are doing "fill" only. The others (under the Logins sub-menu) are doing "go & fill".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

Sorry for the confusion, @sbroth—the forum software ate my backslash!

That instruction was supposed to say "when you get to the password prompt, just press Ctrl+\" (hold down the Ctrl key while you press the backslash key). I've fixed it above, as well.

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to you both. I am happy to understand the difference between the top of the menu and the login sub-menu. It makes sense. Also, I have found that if I enter the first page login as would be typical for any login, then it takes me to the second page with no problem. That has always been true. Now, having set up the two independent logins for the same page, I just have to press "Ctrl+\" and the login completes itself without any further action on my part. I am once again a fan.

Sid Roth

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That’s great news, Sid—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.