Incompatibility between 1Password Firefox extension and Firebug?

studoot
studoot
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've had a problem for a while now where the 1Password icon doesn't appear in my Firefox install; not in the toolbar, nor in the Customize window.

So, today, I've finally had a deeper investigation - reinstalling the 1Password extension again (no joy, again). I then tried disabling all extensions but 1Password and restarted Firefox (version 35.0.1, BTW) and (lo and behold) the 1Password icon appeared on my toolbar. I went back and, one by one, re-enabled each extension, restarting Firefox each time. I found that the extension causing the 1Password icon to disappear was Firebug (2.0.7). Disabling it and restarting Firefox means the 1Password icon is present on the toolbar, Enabling it and restarting Firefox means the 1Password icon disappears from the toolbar. I'm guessing this means there's some sort of incompatibility between Firebug & the 1Password extension? And as 1Password gets a lot more use from me than Firebug, that means Firebug gets disabled on my Firefox...

FYI - the other extensions I have installed are:

Download YouTube Videos as MP4 1.7.30

DownThemAll! 2.0.18

DownThemAll! AntiContainer 1.3

Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.1

feedly 16.0.528

FiddlerHook 2.4.8.3

Print pages to PDF 0.1.9.3

Firebug 2.0.7 (disabled)

iCloud Bookmarks 1.4.14

Logitech SetPoint 6.5

Also - I'm using 1Password for Windows 4.1.0.538, with Firefox browser extension version 4.2.5.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@studoot‌ I cannot seem to reproduce this problem :(

1. Firefox 35.0.1
    2. 1Password 4.2.5
    3. Firebug 2.0.7
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Just to confirm, @studoot‌: version 4.2.5 of the 1Password extension fails to appear on the toolbar or in the Customize dialog box when ONLY Firebug 2.0.7 is enabled?

I've just tried it with version 4.3.0.b7 of the 1Password extension, and it seems to be working as expected:

https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/db/Firebug_2-0-7_and_1Password_extn_4-3-0-b7.mp4

Would you be willing to try the beta version of the 1Password extension? If so, please open 1Password preferences, select the Browsers tab, click on the Installed 4.2.5 button next to Firefox, click on the Enable betas link on the web page that appears, click on the Install button with the lady bug, and follow the instructions to install the extension. (When it's installed, make sure the 4.2.5 extension is disabled or removed from Firefox.)

If you try that, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

• studoot
    studoot
    Community Member

Sorry I haven't got back to you before this...

I installed the beta (4.3.0b9) of the 1Password extension for Firefox - that made no difference. I also disabled every extension but Firebug & 1Password and restarted Firefox - that made no difference either; the 1Password extensions was still not present in the Firefox toolbar.

Here's a screenshot of the 'Customize toolbar' page, showing the lack of 1Password:

And here's my list of extensions...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I see the images, but I just can't reproduce the problem.

If you remove the Firebug extension, does 1Password appear in the toolbar automatically? If it doesn't, does it at least appear in the customization panel?

• studoot
    studoot
    Community Member

I just need to disable Firebug & restart Firefox and the 1Password button appears automatically.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

So, the problem does seem to be related to Firebug, but we're just not able to reproduce it on our systems. (See video, linked above.)

If Firebug and 1Password are the only extensions installed, does the problem still occur?

• studoot
    studoot
    Community Member

I'll give that a try tomorrow when I'm @ work with my Windows computer - I can create a new Firefox profile, IIRC...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

OK, though I don't know whether multiple profiles will introduce complexity that will cloud the issue.

Let us know what you find out!

• studoot
    studoot
    Community Member

OK - I've just tried this, using my default Firefox profile. I uninstalled all the other add-ons, leaving just Firebug and 1Password installed. If I enable Firebug and restart Firefox, then the 1Password toolbar icon does not appear, as before.

I guess I'll just live with it, switching Firebug on and off as necessary.

Thanks for your support.

• Hi there!

I've tried to reproduce this error with our stable and beta Firefox extension and Firebug v2.0.8.
    Everything works like it should.

I'm wondering if there could be other factors on your system that might influence this behaviour.
    Are you running any special software related to web development or online security?

• studoot
    studoot
    Community Member

Ummm - I don't believe so...

Having done little more investigation (using Fiddler, which is a Windows HTTP sniffing tool), I notice that even when Firebug is enabled, and the 1Password icon doesn't show, 1Password still contacts the 1Password background process (Agile1pAgent.exe), so it has started...

And then I created a new Firefox profile... And in this profile, Firebug and 1Password don't clash and co-exist quite happily.... I've migrated my add-ons and bookmarks from my old profile and everything seems fine, so I guess it's just some sort of quirk with my profile... idk...

• We've seen Firefox profiles being the source of errors but rarely in this way.
    If it works for now, we're happy.

Should problems arise again, please contact us once more and we'll dig a bit deeper.

This discussion has been closed.