1Password Chrome Plugin (Windows) and Switching Profiles in Google Chrome

I'm running into an issue while attempting to log in to my Google account in Chrome. I'm referring to the account available by going to Settings > People, not the profile when logging in to Gmail. Google Chrome opens a pop-up window over top of the rest of the browser asking for my username and password. 1Password can't automatically fill in the password, which is fine. I usually copy and paste in the password. At this point, I run into my problem. When I press the Sign in button, 1Password prompts me to save the password I just entered. The problem with this is that it tries to associate the password with whatever website I have open, and it forces the Google Profile login window to close. The web address it is trying to save is always wrong, but I don't want to say "never for this site" because most of the time I'm on a valid website. When I re-open the Google Profile pop-up, it has restarted and prompts me for my password again.

TL;DR: The 1Password Chrome extension prevents me from logging in to my Google profile in Chrome.

Comments

• Hi @maskoficarus

Does this only affect Chrome profiles that are associated with Google accounts? I just tested using multiple profiles but I was never asked for a password, and don't see where I could establish one, other than to link to my Google account.

Please let me know.

Ben

• maskoficarus
    maskoficarus
    Community Member

Hi @bwoodruff. Thank you for the response.

Yes, this only appears to apply to profiles associated with Google accounts. I disconnect my Google account when I done (On a shared computer) from the Settings menu. I am able to switch profiles without logging in, including switching back to my Google account. However, bookmarks won't sync until I log in again.

The easiest workflow I could find to reproduce using a Google Account Profile was:

• Open Chrome Settings (Triple bar > Settings)
    • Press the "Disconnect your Google Account" button.
    • Press the "Disconnect Account" prompt button.
    • Press the "Sign in to Chrome" button that now appears where the disconnect button previously was. You'll get the same sign-in window.

I did notice that the problem is slightly avoided in that 1Password will allow me to never save my password for the chrome://settings page, giving me a safe web address to log in to Chrome from.

• maskoficarus
    maskoficarus
    Community Member

Update: I found a workaround.

I went into the chrome flags screen (chrome://flags/#enable-account-consistency) and disabled account consistency. Afterwards, the prompt to log in to Chrome is now within the main browser window, rather than a pop-up.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I usually copy and paste in the password. At this point, I run into my problem. When I press the Sign in button, 1Password prompts me to save the password I just entered. The problem with this is that it tries to associate the password with whatever website I have open, and it forces the Google Profile login window to close. The web address it is trying to save is always wrong, but I don't want to say "never for this site" because most of the time I'm on a valid website.

@maskoficarus auto-save should ignore the Chrome sign-in popup window. Fixed in 4.1.0.BETA-540

This discussion has been closed.