Error, when starting 1Password4 (An important component is missing from 1Password)

Options

Hello,

when I first installed 1Password4 on my Win 8.1 64 bit system it worked well (my account had admin priviledges and I disabled my Norton AV during install).

After a restart, the above error message appeared and I can't start 1Password4 anymore. I searched this forum and others and found some hints what needs to be availabe, e.g. chillykat2.dll and registry entries. All of this is fine. The only problem is that I never had the AgileBits signed chillykat2.dll. It was always unsigned, even after fresh install.

If I remove 1Password 4 from the computer, restart and install again. It works until the next restart. And by the way the vhillykat2.dll is being removed after deinstall of 1password4 and there is no other chillykat than on my computer. After a reinstall i can only find the unsigned chillykat2.

Please let me know what other info you need to support.

Regards
Sven

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I remove 1Password 4 from the computer, restart and install again. It works until the next restart.

1Password needs js3215R.dll and ChilkatCrypt2.dll (the latter is an ActiveX component and as such needs to be registered with the Windows registry). If either of these DLLs does not exist, then this error message will appear.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

both files are there, the first one (js3215R.dll) in the 1Password 4 program directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4
    the second one (ChilkatCrypt2.dll) in the Windows directory: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

@fritzbox99 Has ChilkatCrypt2.dll been registered with the Windows registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3352B5B9-82E8-4FFD-9EB1-1A3E60056904}\InprocServer32

If yes, what does the (Default) name/value pair point to?

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have a 64bit system, so I assume you mean HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{3352B5B9-82E8-4FFD-9EB1-1A3E60056904}\InprocServer32
    The value of (Default) is "C:\Windows\SysWow64\ChilkatCrypt2.dll"

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

any new ideas where the problem can come from?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

any new ideas where the problem can come from?

@fritzbox99 This might be a permissions problem. Here is something else you can try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzqddpu99bpdzfc/CryptActiveX.msi

Can you please download and install this? Thanks!

• AlexHoffmann
    edited February 2015
    Options

Just to chime in here…
    We have had one report so far about a problem that looks similar to yours, so we're going to keep a very close eye on this.

Cheers!

ref: ZCQ-31953-638

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

I did try to install this. First this is only a trial version of chilicat and finally the problem is not solved. I still receive the error message when trying to start 1password. Same error appears after restarting the system (probably because of the start of 1password in the background).

Any other ideas?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any other ideas?

@fritzbox99 I'm running out of them.

Let's repair your Windows installation, using SFC /SCANNOW

Instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

@fritzbox99 Here is something else you can try.

Please download and install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

(ChilkatCrypt depends on this)

Thanks!

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

according to the kb document is this version not intended for Win8.1 64bit. however, i have already several version of this package installed:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fritzbox99 I'm beginning to suspect you might have a permissions issue. As a test, can you please run 1Password "as administrator"?

1. Click Start.
    2. Locate the 1Password menu (buried somewhere under All Programs).
    3. Right-click on 1Password 4.
    4. A popup menu appears. Click on: "Run as Administrator".
  • fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have tried this before and repeated it just now again: same isse, same error message.

As said before, when I uninstall 1password, the chillicat libs disappear from the computer. Searching for them finad no instance of them. After a reboot, when I install 1passowrd again, the software works fine. After the next reboot I receive the same error message on the missing component. So something changes during reboot.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@fritzbox99 have you tried running the installer "as administrator"?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

@fritzbox99 Can you send me a DR, please? I would love to see what other processes are running on your computer.

1. Start 1Password
    2. Click on: Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File...
    3. Please send your DR to: stefan AT agilebits DOT com
    4. Please add a link to this discussion, so that I can "connect the dots"

Thanks!

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

yes, i also have tried to install as admin: same result

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

just to make sure we are on the same page

• 1passowrd does not start
    • so i deinstalled it
    • rebooted the computer
    • installed 1password
    • start 1password (either normal or as admin)

neither "export to file" nor "send to agilebits" shows any further dialog box where I could save or send the report.

if i would restart the system, then I could not start 1passowrd, so I won't be able to generate the report.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

just tried to just log-off and logon again without restarting: same result, can't start 1passowrd any more and receive the error with the missing component

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

sorry guys. but it seems that you run out of support ideas which in the end means i can't use the product and probably have to look for another solution for my password management.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fritzbox99, I apologize for the delay in getting back to your thread! I don't know why it didn't show up until now.

It's not that we've run out of ideas, but there's something fundamentally wrong with your installation. "Exporting" the diagnostics report should display this (tested just now on my own system):

Even if you didn't have an e-mail client configured in Windows, you should see this when using the "send by e-mail" option:

It's up to you, of course, but we hope you'll let us continue to work with you.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

sorry, but this box does not come. i have thunderbird Email client and plenty of other programs installed. there is no other issue with my computer, at least that i' aware off. It works well so far. let me know what you need to know to support me.

does 1password generate any logfiles by default or write to event log? so if i start my system, a partial start can be seen in this logfile and where it exactly stops execution?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Incidentally, I'm also seeing this behaviour with the DR options on my XP box, both with the vault locked and unlocked.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne, as you know, we're not testing on XP any more, so I can't address that one. Sorry. :(

@fritzbox99, those screen shots came from my test on a 32-bit Windows 8.1 virtual machine, so unless it's something to do with your running 64-bit Windows, I can't think what else to suggest.

Requesting the diagnostic report (from the Help menu) is the only way I know of to generate log files, which are zipped up for sending to us.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

as you know, we're not testing on XP any more, so I can't address that one. Sorry.

I know that. I just thought another data point might be useful.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown, in post #22 you offered to solve my problem and you told me that you have plenty of ideas and now in post #25 you tell me that you can't help me? How does this fit together?

As I told you in post #23, I have no issue with any program installed on my system. It is patched with latest patches from Mircrosoft and all other vendors as suggested by Secunia PSI.

You DR will probably just call system functions. Just let me know the most important ones and how to supply this information on a different way and I will provide the information.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

To be fair, @fritzbox99, we definitely want to solve the problem, but "It's not that we've run out of ideas" is not at all the same thing as "[we] you have plenty of ideas." One idea, reinforced by the fact that the commands work as expected on nearly all other systems (I've heard of only yours and the XP system cited by @RichardPayne) is that "there's something fundamentally wrong with your installation."

I'll ask Dev to look at this thread, though, in case there's something I've missed.

Thanks for your patience!

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

Any news from your dev?

By the way I tried some other password managers, and all of them work fine. From my point of view I still don't accept that there is something fundamentally wrong with my system. All software works fine, except yours.

Have also check all logs in the EventViewer and found nothing strange.

Are you continuing with my case or shall I simply decide for another password manager?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fritzbox99 What security software are you running? I was hoping the diagnostic report would give us a clue about what might be blocking the ChilkatCrypt2.dll ActiveX component.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I assume you mean security related to encryption:

• Cisco AnyConnect 2.4.10
    • CyberJack Base Components 6.10.8
    • Gpg4win 2.2.3
    • KeePass 2.28
    • Norton Internet Security 21.6
    • TrueCrypt 7.1a