Problems using 1Password with Firefox

Options
AgileBurger
AgileBurger
Community Member
edited February 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I would have to get out my video screen capture tool to catch all the bugs in a constructive way so as to convey them to your development team, but the more I have been using this Firefox plugin application, the more its having problems. Recently I saw you guys put out a new version / update touting lots of fun new features, but after upgrading, these bugs remain, and I wonder if you guys even know about them?

Just off the top of my head:

1) 30% of the time I open Firefox and click on the "i" icon in the upper right, absolutely nothing happens. I have to close the browser and reopen it to get the security code popup to appear at all.

2) Certain websites simply don't work with 1Password, and there doesn't seem to be anything unique about them.

3) PayPal - I have two accounts and frequently log out of the first, and want to log in immediately with the second. 1Password fails to input the proper information 70% of the time in this circumstance. But its not consistent. When I first arrive at PayPal my email address from the last login is still in the username box. No matter which of the two accounts I choose to log in with, 1Password replaces that email with the proper one, and logs me in just fine. But when I log out - same situation - email is still in the box. This time however 1Password fails to replace the email and I get a login failure. Then have to do it again. This inconsistent behavior is fairly easy to reproduce.

4) I recently did an "update" to a password on an existing record in 1Password. I used the "Do you want to update?" popup, and simply said yes. This caused the record to totally get screwed up. The title it had been given simply disappeared. All websites I went to after that now had a "blank" record at the top of the list when clicking on the " i " icon in Firefox. And trying to use that updated record (which was now without a title) on its own web page failed to work. I had to go in, delete the record entirely, restart 1Password, and then all the others worked fine again. Recreating the record from scratch put it back into the application and all was well. But what a mess just from using the native "update" option...

5) Sometimes less than 2 minutes after first opening Firefox, 1Password will lock itself, even though I have told it not to do this in the settings. It will ask for my security code again even though I had just entered it 2 minutes prior. After that it will stay open as expected.

6) After having the browser open for several hours and working with multiple windows, 1Password Firefox plugin will simply stop working. When I click the " i " icon at the top, nothing will happen. I have to close all my browser windows (major major problem), wait to hear that "click" locking sound (which by the way doesn't always happen! another bug) ... then reopen Firefox. Most of the time I'll then be able to unlock the plugin again. It never locked in the first place. Pressing the "i" simply stopped working.

There are more but I can't think of them at this time...

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

@AgileBurger We used to have a problem with Firefox 35. All the problems you are reporting are probably a result of this problem.

The problems with Firefox 35 have been fixed in version 4.1.0.538. Can you please update to version 4.1.0.538 and try again?

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

Thanks!

• AgileBurger
    AgileBurger
    Community Member
    Options

Add to the above list:

Chrome is open with 1Password installed and currently "active" (already entered my passcode to unlock it)
    Firefox is also open with 1Password installed and currently "active"

Close Chrome browser. Hear "Click" noise.
    Toggle to Firefox, try to click " i " icon .... guess what ... Firefox just locked!!! Super. Have to enter the passcode again to proceed.

Bug.

• AgileBurger
    AgileBurger
    Community Member
    Options

Well I am currently running 4.1.0.538

However I don't remember exactly when I upgraded, and whether the above items happened before or still happened after.

I know the one I just wrote happened after the upgrade. Just now.

I'll update this thread if I see any of the others mentioned above, still happening.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Close Chrome browser. Hear "Click" noise. Toggle to Firefox, try to click " i " icon .... guess what ... Firefox just locked!!! Super. Have to enter the passcode again to proceed. Bug.

@AgileBurger This is the designed behavior (not a bug).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@AgileBurger

This is the designed behavior (not a bug).

and it is a behaviour you can turn off by unticking the "Lock when web browser is closed" option on the Security tab in Preferences.

• AgileBurger
    AgileBurger
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@svondutch - Why on earth would you design this software to lock and close in Firefox, if I close Chrome? That doesn't make any sense. Chrome and Firefox are completely different applications. More importantly - 99% of the time someone has both browsers open and closes just 1 - they haven't closed the other. So it makes no sense to lock 1Password on both browsers. Please consider changing this as it makes no sense.

@RichardPayne - But this is locking Firefox when I close Chrome. I want it to lock when I close a particular browser. I dont want it to lock in a completely different software application that just so happens to also be a browser. They are unrelated software applications.

@svondutch - I have returned today to inform you that I am on the latest version and I am still seeing "zero response" when I click on the 'i' icon in Firefox sometimes. I just opened the browser fresh, clicked on it, and got nothing. Admittedly this is the first time it has happened in a week or two, whereas it was happening every day before. But still had to close and re-open it.

Is anyone tracking this stuff or did all my work in the first post get dismissed with the assumption that the new version addressed everything?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why on earth would you design this software to lock and close in Firefox, if I close Chrome? That doesn't make any sense.

Actually, most users are in love with this feature. They want 1Password to (un)lock everywhere.

You might want to turn OFF this setting: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Security > Lock when web browser is closed

I am still seeing "zero response" when I click on the 'i' icon in Firefox sometimes. I just opened the browser fresh, clicked on it, and got nothing.

Please turn OFF this setting: Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

But this is locking Firefox when I close Chrome. I want it to lock when I close a particular browser. I dont want it to lock in a completely different software application that just so happens to also be a browser. They are unrelated software applications.

The lock state is tracked for the helper and for the main program, and 1Password can be configured to keep them aligned as much as possible. As I understand the architecture, it would be a huge change to track the lock state for each individual browser.

By the way, any time you have trouble getting the 1Password extension to work as expected, please turn to the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase for tips, including the one pertaining to web browser code signature verification.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The lock state is tracked for the helper and for the main program, and 1Password can be configured to keep them aligned as much as possible. As I understand the architecture, it would be a huge change to track the lock state for each individual browser.

It would also be semantically meaningless. It's already bad enough that the main app and the browsers can be in different lock states.
    The whole point of locking your data is to protect it. What would it actually mean to lock one browser and not another? If your vault is unlocked anywhere then it is at risk. Locking Chrome but not Firefox doesn't improve your security over having both unlocked.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well put, @RichardPayne.

This discussion has been closed.