1pass and dopbox sync question

Hi, does 1pass sync with dropbox automatically after the first setup or do i have to do it myself periodically?

In other words, if in the pc i save a new website password and then i go to my iphone to login in same new website, will the password be there?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It's automatic on Windows by simple virtue of the fact that it's writing directly to the agilekeychain stored in the local Dropbox folder.

iOS too is automatic according to the documentation:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Dropbox sync is automatic across our 1Password product line—Windows, OS X, iOS, Android. That's why we like Dropbox so much.

(OK, I'm not sure about Windows Phone, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's automatic there, too.)

As noted in the Syncing your 1Password data article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, Wi-Fi sync is the only manual sync process tested and supported for use with 1Password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown, it is not automatic on Android.

• arismac
    arismac
    Community Member

i tested it on an iPhone 6 (8.1.3) and 2 different PCs. Works like a charm!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne wrote:

...it is not automatic on Android.

That's not how I interpret this snippet from the Settings > Sync article in the 1Password for iOS user's guide:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Interesting. That's new. I've never seen it do that before.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I don't have an Android device on which to test it, but that's what's in the user's guide, and I always go to the documentation first. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown unfortunately the documentation doesn't seem to tally with the application behaviour. Changes made on the Android app are immediately synced back to the keychain but changes made to keychain are not detected and automatically synced.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

It may be that I incorrectly interpreted "1Password will transmit changes to the synced copy as they are made," which definitely means the changes made locally get synced "outward," as also meaning that the app will also read changes back in, as well.

I've asked the 1Password for Android expert to let me know whether the problem is in the app, the doc, or my brain. :D

• Changes made on Android do immediately sync outwardly, to the vault. Changes made to the vault, however, do not get downloaded to the Android until sync is triggered (either by logging in, making a change on Android, or manually forcing sync). This is because currently 1Password isn't left running in the background on the Android looking for changes all the time. I believe this is mainly due to battery and memory conservation.

I don't think that the documentation is incorrect, though it might need some clarification. 1Password does transmit changes to the synced copy as they are made. If you make a change on Android, that change is synced to the .agilekeychain immediately. If you make a change elsewhere, that change is transmitted to the .agilekeychain immediately. What isn't automatic is the changes downloading to the Android once they've been made. That requires some sort of trigger, like I previously mentioned.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the clarification, @peri! It seems I did, in fact, misinterpret the statement in the 1Password for Android user's guide.

At least I wasn't alone in doing so. :lol: (Sorry for the confusion, @RichardPayne!)

I wish I knew enough about Android to understand why it can't (or doesn't) make it possible for 1Password to "know about" changes in the same way 1Password does in iOS.

• No problem, @DBrown! I wish I knew enough about Android too... :)

Seriously, though, this is something that could change, it's just not the way it's currently set up.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

This is because currently 1Password isn't left running in the background on the Android looking for changes all the time. I believe this is mainly due to battery and memory conservation.

It doesn't do it when the app is loaded and active either.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne, are you saying it doesn't do a fresh read on launch?

cc: @peri

• Indeed, simply moving the app to the foreground doesn't cause it to start looking for changes. Currently, on 1Password 4 for Android, sync can only be initiated by opening the app (with Master Password or PIN), editing or saving an item, or tapping the sync button.

I agree that the documentation could use some clarification there. Syncing from the Android to the keychain is automatic, and syncing from the keychain to the Android is automatic, but only when triggered.

That said, if you would prefer syncing to happen instantaneously on Android, @RichardPayne, please let us know and I'll pass that feedback along to our devs. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'd say automatic is always better than manual, when you're talking about sync. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@peri I agree with @DBrown. Maybe include a new setting for poll frequency, assuming the dropbox api doesn't include a change notification system.

• Sounds good! I'll pass this suggestion along to the Android team. :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

@RichardPayne Dropbox has a webhooks API -- a way for server-side apps to get notifications of changes in Dropbox. This is a great way for apps to keep up-to-date without polling, but an equivalent does not seem to be available for client-side apps. In 1Password for Windows, this is why we watch your Dropbox directory for changes via FindFirstChangeNotification. On Android and iOS, there is no Dropbox directory and it might be impossible to accomplish this without polling.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@peri @svondutch
    The first paragraph seems to indicate that it is possible:
    https://www.dropbox.com/developers/sync/docs/android

The linked tutorial talks about Listeners which seem to do what we want.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne Oh! That proves I'm not familiar with the Dropbox API for Android :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Me neither. Google ftw!

This discussion has been closed.