1password and quicken 2015

Can i copy and paste the passwords in 1passport into the quicken password vault in order to use the one step update without having load in the passwords every time?
running windows 7 in bootcamp

Comments

• Hi @safety1,

Are you running 1Password on Windows? If yes, you can do that with the Auto-Type feature.

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

I plan on running 1password on windows 7 through boot camp on my MAC. is auto type a feature in Quicken or 1P?
    Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please click on the link in MikeT's post: you'll then see Auto-type is a 1P for Windows feature.

Stephen

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Sorry but I'm a little confused, and getting to use quicken correctly is my most important decision in buying 1P.
    I'm not sure which option in auto fill would work best for my situation and be the easiest to implement? Also not sure what is meant by "insertion point".
    Tried to attach screen shots, not sure if they worked. They show the screen to enter just passwords and quicken password vault to store passwords.
    Currently in Quicken I use one step update and manually load passwords (no user names are needed), as they are simple easy to remember. once I get more complicated and random passwords this will not be an option. Ideally i would like to load the passwords into quicken vault and be done with it.
    I hope this clear as I'm not as savvy with this stuff.
    thanks again.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@safety1 I've moved the thread to the 1P for Windows forum from the 1P for Mac forum because I think you'll get more help here (even though you're running 1P for Windows on a Mac through boot camp).

Stephen

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

Wait, Think simple???? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no reason I can't manual enter the passwords into Quicken vault one time. In which case I would not need 1P for windows and can use 1P for Mac and iOS only????

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no reason I can't manual enter the passwords into Quicken vault one time. "
    That works, although Quicken would not take a + sign when the financial institute did. But the new passwords are far superior to what i had before. Hope this helps someone else.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

@safety1, I apologize for the confusion.

I believe @MikeT and @Stephen_C both thought you were wanting to use 1Password for Windows to log in to Quicken, for which their tips would've been very helpful.

It sounds like you want to import 1Password Login items into Quicken. I'm not a Quicken user, but I just read a little about the "password vault" feature, which appears to duplicate 1Password's form-filling functionality. I'd question the wisdom of having your financial-site login credentials in two separate places, the reason being that updating your passwords in one place would leave the other place outdated, which just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Instead, I'd forgo Quicken's password vault and store my financial-site login credentials in 1Password. That way, all my login credentials would be in one place, and they'd always be up-to-date.

That said, if you really want to move your financial-site login credentials to Quicken, you can select each Login item in the details area of the main 1Password program, click on the "copy" icon next to the password field, and paste the password into Quicken. If Quicken includes an import function, then select all your financial-site Login items in the main 1Password program, choose File > Export, select "selected Login items" and "delimited text" format, and import the resulting file into Quicken. (I don't know whether Quicken includes such a feature or the details of how it might work.)

Again, I don't recommend keeping those credentials in two separate places, but the choice is yours, of course.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no reason I can't manual enter the passwords into Quicken vault one time. In which case I would not need 1P for windows and can use 1P for Mac and iOS only????

It didn't occur to me that you were hoping to avoid using 1Password for Windows, @safety1. I'm much less familiar with 1Password for Mac's delmited-text output, so I'm less certain whether Quicken would be able to import it (if it even has such a feature, as I said above).

My concerns about storing your credentials for the same sites in two redundant utilities remain, though.

Quicken would not take a + sign when the financial institute did. But the new passwords are far superior to what i had before.

Stronger passwords are good. :) That may be an additional argument for skipping Quicken's "password vault" and storing all your login credentials in 1Password.

Another is the fact that they'd be available (assuming you sync your 1Password data) no matter where you need to use them.

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

A little confused but I think I get what you are saying. Implementing it may be another issue. I agree it is not the best solution to carry the passwords in the quicken vault. My thought in doing that however was to simplify the process while still getting very secure passwords. I use quicken every other day and liked the idea of the vault as the simplest way to download the quicken data, maybe not the most seamless integration.
    I will need to research the export import possibility within quicken. Outside of that if I understand correctly I would need to have quicken and 1P open in windows and copy and paste every password in quicken one step update, my first illustration above. This seems like a lot of extra steps, as opposed to loading the passwords into quicken vault one time. If I subsequently change a password in 1P I would just need to remember to update Quicken. Being the password are much more secure now that I would be using 1P, how often would that need to be? The passwords would still be available to whenever I need through 1P on my mobile.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I need to figure the best way to proceed. The anthem debacle has really motivated me.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Being the password are much more secure now that I would be using 1P, how often would that need to be?

As often as you feel it needs to be. I'm not trying to be evasive—it really depends.

If you're using a weak or common password, or if you're using the same password on multiple sites, then you should change it on all of them.

Once you have a strong, unguessable, and unique password for a given site, though, I wouldn't think you'd need to change it until you have some reason to believe that that password had been compromised—a news story about your bank's data having been hacked would be a strong trigger, for example. :)

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

Hopefully getting to end of this. So that being said if I had strong unguessable passwords in 1P for Mac and used those same passwords in Quicken vault, in windows 7 I would accomplish the goal of security and ease of use in Quicken?
    I would then need to purchase just the Mac version of 1P and depending on how I wanted to sync with iOS, either from the web or MAS.
    There would be nothing to sync on the windows side, as I'm only downloading data into quicken.
    Does this make sense?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

@safety1, I don't know enough about Quicken's "password vault" feature to venture a guess about how secure (or easy) it might be to use. I hope you understand.

Offhand, though, I would say that, if you don't need to use 1Password on your PC, then you're free to work with 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS as suits your needs.

Sorry not to have a more definitive answer for you.

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

Quicken is secure it only resides on my computer which on the boot camp side never even stays open long and the vault seems easy to use. So I guess I have my answer. Thanks for all the input.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.