File Protection

So far, I have not found anything about protecting files on my desktop. Does Agilebits do that?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

I use 1Password to specific protect sensitive documents (bank account info, wills with SSN, etc). This is the extent to what 1Password is meant to do with files and it now has a 5MB limit

• @mia
    Richard says Agilebits cannot protect files, so how are you doing that?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

I think what Richard is responding to your question. He's saying you can't protect files ON your desktop. You can certainly create a secure note in 1PW and drag them into the attachements section (thereby encrypting them). You can then delete the originals. I guess it's basically a function of what you are trying to accomplish.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Exactly @mia. @dl33objORRwjDVk86yGy try AxCrypt for doing straight file encryption without storing the files in your 1Password vault.

• Thanks for the explanation. I have been using 7-Zip to encrypt local files, but I will take a look at AxCrypt.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

All good and accurate replies above—thanks, @RichardPayne and @mia!

Note, @dl33objORRwjDVk86yGy, that you can attach files to nearly all item types in 1Password for Windows—pretty much whatever makes sense for your needs. I've attached photocopies of the corresponding documents to Driver's License and Passport items, for example, so I can easily show the images when needed without carrying the actual documents with me and as protection against loss or theft of my family's passports.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

Agree with Richard.
    You probably want AxCrypt. For individual file encryption, it's the best. For 'container' style use TrueCrypt (download from GRC.com) or VeraCrypt

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @mia.

This discussion has been closed.