So many problems on Windows

I purchased the license for Windows and Mac after trying it on Mac and seeing it work so well.
I just installed on Windows 7 with Chrome extension. It doesn't work.

• I set to open the webpage on double click - that just seem to open the edit
  • When I right click to open the webpage, some have a greyed out Open option, so no way to open the webpage??
  • All of the webpage logins I've tried to open fail to so a login. If I set the setting "use auto-type in web browser" it's even worse and navigates to some other page and types my password in clear text!!??
  • seems totally unusable on Windows, yet works great on my Mac
    Seems soon buggy. I'm not happy at all with it on Windows.
    Does anyone have any clue about these issues on Windows?
    Thanks.

Comments

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

ok, after locking/unlocking several times and trying to get it to work, out of nowhere it is working much better now and some of the issues have gone away. strange...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

I set to open the webpage on double click - that just seem to open the edit

As noted in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, that behavior is configurable on the General tab of 1Password preferences.

When I right click to open the webpage, some have a greyed out Open option, so no way to open the webpage??

That implies that either you're clicking on an item type that's not a Login item, or that there's no URL stored in the Login item.

All of the webpage logins I've tried to open fail to so a login. If I set the setting "use auto-type in web browser" it's even worse and navigates to some other page and types my password in clear text!!??

Please let us know of any URLs where submitting a username+password combination in a login form in your web browser doesn't cause the 1Password extension to offer to save a Login item for you. Please mention which version of which browser you're using and which version of the 1Password extension is installed. We'll try to replicate the problem, in case there's something we can do to improve the extension.

The auto-type option "mimics" typing your username, pressing Tab, and typing your password (as those values are stored in the Login item). That's why you have to place the insertion point in the username field to start. Please see the Using auto-type article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide for details.

seems totally unusable on Windows, yet works great on my Mac

They're different programs with several differences, despite their many similarities. Please let us know whether the information in the user's guide for the specific platform addresses your questions.

We want to help!

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Thanks. But like I said things just started working a little better after a while (maybe the dropbox vault was not fully synced at first). I didn't change any settings from when things were not working. URLs are all the same and working on my Mac (its a shared Dropbox vault).
    Some web pages logins are still greyed out. The URL is just fine because the same items work with no issue on my Mac with the same exact vault. Looks to me like its the ones that don't start with https://, and just look like login.blah.com instead of https://login.blah.com
    The Mac is where all the logins were added, so your program is the one that added the URLs on my Mac where some of them don't start with http.
    I edited one and put https:// and that fixed that problem, but like many URL, when it gets to the login webpage, it just sits there without filling out the password and/or username. Note that the same exact web login works fine on my Mac with the same exact vault.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

On my Win 7 box I'm using Chrome version 40.0.2214.111 and your chrome extension. On Mac I'm using Safari 8.03 and things work much better there.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

The following web pages on Win 7 with Chrome just sit there at the login screen without logging in (but work on Mac):
    Fidelity website login
    Amazon website login
    AAA automobile service website login
    Ebay
    All others if double clicked from your application

Note that most of these logins so far DO work on my Win 7 with Chrome only IF I navigate to the website from your Chrome extension toolbar menu icon->Logins->(website).
    This is my workaround for now. It does not login to the website for many sites when I just double click the web login item from your 1Password application.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I edited one and put https:// and that fixed that problem, but like many URL, when it gets to the login webpage, it just sits there without filling out the password and/or username.

How are you navigating to the web site? Are you doing this from the 1Password web browser extension, or from the 1Password application?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

the bank of america banking login doesn't work from anywhere, not even my Mac. This login brings you to a username screen to submit and then a second screen for the password. I suspect your app is not able to handle this type of multi page login.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Hi @svondutch. I mentioned in comment#6 how I'm getting there. it only works if clicking the chrome extension 1password toolbar item and the webpage to login to. It doesn't work for any if double clicking on Windows from you actual 1password application.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

it only works if clicking the chrome extension 1password toolbar item and the webpage to login to. It doesn't work for any if double clicking on Windows from you actual 1password application.

@ckp This is a known problem. We're working on a fix. We apologise for the inconvenience. /cc @dteare

• DietrichFoerster
    DietrichFoerster
    Community Member

I have nearly the same problems with using MAC and Windows versions based on the same vault.
    The login on MAC including Firefox integration works very good - great application!
    But on Windows I have a lot of problems:

• sometimes it helps to deactivate auto sending ...
    • sometimes I need to create a new Login
    • sometimes it seems to be a language problem - (1Password in english: username, Websitein german: "Benutzername")
    • sometimes I only need to repeat the login with the same items ...
    • No difference in using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome ....

Over all - the windows Version makes me not happy in usage 1Password.

I hope that we will get a Windows 5.x Version AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!**

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for your frustration, @DietrichFoerster, and we'll do everything we can to help, but there is no current or planned activity on a major update (a version 5) of 1Password for Windows, as it is not required at this time.

As for the specific problems you mention:

• sometimes it helps to deactivate auto sending ...

I'm not sure what "auto-sending" is; perhaps you mean auto-submit?

• sometimes I need to create a new Login

There are many reasons why a new Login item might need to be created, including (but not limited to) changes—visible or not—to the login form at a given URL. When a Login stops working for some reason, creating a new one is always the correct first step.

• sometimes it seems to be a language problem - (1Password in english: username, Websitein german: "Benutzername")

If you can let us know a couple of URLs where you see that, please let us know, in case there's something we can do to improve the form-filling code.

• sometimes I only need to repeat the login with the same items ...

Can you explain what you mean by "repeat the login"?

• No difference in using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome ....

Ideally, they should work the same. It's always helpful to know when they don't, in case that helps us track down the cause of whatever problem you're seeing.

This discussion has been closed.