How to use without software? No admin rights on work PC

After signing up and paying for a subscription, I changed jobs. I asked our IT department to install the software on my Windows PC (with Chrome and IE browsers), but it is against policy.

Is there any workaround for a windows pc with chrome browser but no ability to install software? I was able to install the chrome browser extension, but that is all.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

As far as I know it is not possible. The installer needs to register COM components which requires administrator rights.

• HokieHiker
    HokieHiker
    Community Member

Does anyone have recommendations for an alternative password manager that does not require the installation of software? I've had to resort to bad password habits without the ability to install 1Password on my work computer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

@RichardPayne is correct: you cannot run software that isn't installed. :(

There are no 1Password subscriptions, though, @HokieHiker. You actually purchased a 1Password for Windows license, but that was back in September.

Have you been unable to use it all this time?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

you cannot run software that isn't installed.

A little too general there @DBrown. Installation is not a requirement for all software on Windows.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@HokieHiker Assuming your 1Password vault is in Dropbox, you might want to consider using 1PasswordAnywhere.

• HokieHiker
    HokieHiker
    Community Member

I have the Windows license with the software installed on my home computer. I simply can't install an additional copy on my work computer due to IT policy.

Thanks for the tip @svondutch. I do have my vault in Dropbox. I'll give it a shot.

• HokieHiker
    HokieHiker
    Community Member

Yes @DBrown , I've been unable to use it on my work computer since I started my new job in early October. Unfortunately my work computer is the 98% of my time on any computer. My only previous workaround was to open the app on my phone, reveal passwords, and manually type in the passwords into my work laptop as I read the password on the phone--way to cumbersome.

• HokieHiker
    HokieHiker
    Community Member

Looks like 1PasswordAnywhere is very bare bones. I still have to manually reveal and copy passwords.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, I believe 1PasswordAnywhere is "read-only" access to your data.

This discussion has been closed.