Double password request

Options

If you do unlock through a browser plug-in (Firefox, Chrome), then when you try to open the main window of the tray still prompts a password, although it displays an icon with "unlocked".

Software:
1Password: 4.1.0.538
1Password addon: 4.3.0.b8 (Firefox), 4.2.5.90 (Chrome)

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

This is expected, although not intuitive. The systray lock icon represents the browser helper's state, not the main application. Although you can sync their lock states with the option on the Browsers tab in Preferences it does not guarantee anything. Specifically, it can not sync lock states when either the app or the helper is not running, which is what you're seeing here.

It should only happen the first time though. Once the app is running, using the minimise or close buttons should leave it running and just hide the window. Lock state sync is then able to work properly.

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne Passed to you after using Roboform - there unlocking profile from anywhere refers to the total unblocking and not separately or as part of the main application or extension ...

If the logic of a separate release, whether that is better then divided icons - tray used "lock" for the main application, and the icon in the browser for a particular browser?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Don't mate. I've had this argument with them numerous times. I agree with you. There should only be one lock state.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Some of the differences between 1Password and Robform might be explained by the fact that they are created by different companies. :)

An explanation of the ONE scenario in which you're "double-prompted" can be found in this article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase. (TL;DR: It's to protect your data.)

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

As I wrote above, if the icon in the system tray (the main application) are not displayed if "invalid" status, then the problem as if it would not be ;)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, @Borz—what is "'invalid' status"?

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown Tray icon shows the status of "unlock", though in fact it is not - the main application is blocked. So icon displays incorrect information about the status of the lock of the main application.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, @Borz.

I hope that one scenario is covered in the data locking article I cited above.

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yes, of course I read the article. I was quite satisfied with your concern about the Safety of my data, but I do not accept violation of "Do not make me think". Seeing the unlock icon, I expect to double click on the icon in the system tray is opening the main application instead of requesting a password to unlock. And as with the main application asks for a password, it briefly confuses me.

If the main application is locked, and the tray icon should show the "locked" - because it is the main application icon rather than the icon browser extensions.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for sharing your opinion on this issue, @Borz!

One way to avoid thinking about it is to just enter the master password when prompted. ;) We'll keep trying to make that happen as seldom as possible, without jeopardizing your data.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

If the main application is locked, and the tray icon should show the "locked" - because it is the main application icon rather than the icon browser extensions.

Actually, no, it is precisely not that. That icon belongs to the Browser Helper, not to the main application. The confusion arises because you can launch the main application by clicking on it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @RichardPayne.

@Borz, a search for tray in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide returns links to a few articles that might help shed some light on the issue.

This discussion has been closed.