switch between vaults without password question

Options

hi,

my mac version doesn't ask for a password when switching between vaults. What should I set so that the Windows version no longer ask?

thanks in advance

ulf

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You can't. The Windows version works in a fundamentally different way to the other platforms. On Windows you must enter your various master passwords whenever you switch vaults. Painful, but unavoidable at present. Sorry.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

To be clear, @uneubauer, it's "unavoidable" because 1Password for Windows doesn't include the concept of "primary" and "secondary" vaults. Each vault stands alone, and you can have open only one vault at a time. One of the best arguments I've apparently misheard [see below] for that model is that Windows doesn't provide a secure place to store master passwords for your 1Password vaults.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

One of the best arguments I've heard for that model is that Windows doesn't provide a secure place to store master passwords for your 1Password vaults.

Actually, that is not a valid argument. We could store the secondary vault encryption key inside the primary vault. But we don't.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

You're right, as usual, @svondutch!

I was thinking of not having a secure place to store the primary vault's master password. Once that was open, a place could be made for secondary vaults' master passwords within the primary vault.

...except for not having primary and secondary vaults in 1Password for Windows, that is.

• Patrick A
    Patrick A
    Community Member
    Options

As a client of 1Pass this is a major limitation for using it within our organization that has mixed Mac and Windows. Totally inefficient for Windows users with multiple vaults (all our users). Hopefully this is a feature that is added in the next release.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can see how having to enter your secondary vault master password can be inconvenient, but "major limitation" and "totally inefficient" is overaggerating the problem. That being said, I agree 1Password should be consistent on all platforms we support.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing your passion about this subject with us, Patrick!

This discussion has been closed.