Syncing with iPhone & iPad

Options

Help!
Syncing was happening but I've just realised that for some reason it's stopped and I can't see how to start it again even though I've spent hours trying to solve it. Can anyone help me please?
If you can, many many thanks

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you're having a problem syncing your 1Password data, @walkingman.

What version of 1Password for Windows are you running, and what method are you using to sync your 1Password data between your PC and your iOS devices?

• walkingman
    walkingman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm using version 4 and syncing via wi-fi

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the follow-up, @walkingman.

Wi-Fi syncing is a manual process. Please see this article for instructions.

• lhunsicker
    lhunsicker
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to do a Wi-Fi syncing, I get a message box asking whether I want to download Bonjour now. What's Bonjour?
    I would prefer to depend on automatic syncing via Dropbox. But even though my .Agilekeychain is located in the Dropbox folder, it is NOT updating my changes in password. What do I have to do to get syncing to work again?

• LauraR
    Options

@lhunsicker - Could you email us at support+forum@agilebits.com so we can give you instructions to create a diagnostic report from each of your devices and help you further. Please can you also include a link back to this discussion.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lhunsicker,

Bonjour is Apple's networking service that allows 1Password to advertise itself on your local Wi-Fi network for other 1Password clients to see, so that it can sync without any efforts on your part. It avoids the need for you to figure the IP address for each computer or mobile device, then the port number and so on. You can see more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

As Laura asked, please do email us your diagnostic report from your Windows PC and iOS device, also include the thread link in the email and let us know here that you've sent it, so we can look for it.

Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT if there any particular benefit to using Bonjour over a simple UDP based discovery protocol or is it just convenience because Bonjour is there on Apples?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

if there any particular benefit to using Bonjour over a simple UDP based discovery protocol or is it just convenience because Bonjour is there on Apples?

@svondutch should be able to give you more technical reasons on this but the only thing I can think of is that Bonjour does combine a few things that a simple discovery protocol won't do on its own but might with more protocols on top of it. Because of that, it's easier to simplify it with just Bonjour that is tested and supported by Apple on the platforms that we use Wi-Fi sync on.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

if there any particular benefit to using Bonjour over a simple UDP based discovery protocol

@RichardPayne Not really.

or is it just convenience because Bonjour is there on Apples?

@RichardPayne Mac and iOS implemented Wi-Fi Sync before we did. We were tasked with making it work with what was already there. Bonjour. /cc @MikeT

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks @svondutch

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of Stefan, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.