Sidebar customization

I know this has been covered in past releases but with a lot of people asking I felt the need to ask again. Maybe I am missing something but why can you not customize the sidebar? I really, really, really have no need to know the totals of logins, secure notes, or whatever else is included. I have 24 separate folders and 378 entries- why do I want to scroll down the list of folders when they all could be listed in the wasted space of the Categories section. We keep hearing the same thing over and over- it can't be customized and the Categories view can't be removed. I paid a lot of out of pocket for this software across Windows, Mac, and iPhone platforms- I should have the choice on where and what I want displayed in the sidebar. At minimum I should have the option in which order to display the items in the sidebar (in my case Folders first, then Categories). Please fix or let me know how I can get a refund, at least KeePass lets you customize and I can sync with Dropbox just as easily.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I really, really, really have no need to know the totals of logins, secure notes, or whatever else is included

View > Show Item Counts > OFF

• ElPelon
    ElPelon
    Community Member

You totally missed my ask- I already know how to turn off the counts, that is not even close to what I am asking. What I am saying is that the Category area is useless to me, as I am sure it is useless for others as well. I would like the option of either not seeing it at all or rearranging the sidebar so the folders appear on the top and then the categories. Please consider this for the next update.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @ELPelon,

Thanks for your feedback. Stefan just wanted to let you know about the option sooner but that's not the final answer from us.

Maybe I am missing something but why can you not customize the sidebar?

The interface isn't that flexible to accommodate everyone's needs all at once, it's a fixed 2-pane view that cannot modified, to remove the category is to remove the folders as well. To support such a customization, a lot of work has to be done and it would take away the focus on the core features of 1Password, which is what we're focusing on right now. A fixed interface also tends to be more stable without any further maintenance required.

We follow the same consistent guidelines across all platforms, which means all of our cross-platform apps should look and feel the same as much as possible. You can't remove categories on Mac either, you can collapse the categories section, which is easily done because of built-in APIs we can use from OS X, not something we can reuse for Windows.

However, that doesn't mean we will never have this support on Windows, right now we're more focused on the core features of the 1Password and adding more features over time. It is possible a complete interface overhaul is coming in the future.

I have 24 separate folders and 378 entries- why do I want to scroll down the list of folders when they all could be listed in the wasted space of the Categories section. We keep hearing the same thing over and over- it can't be customized and the Categories view can't be removed.

As I mentioned above, it's a fixed two-pane interface, it is not possible to customize it like this on the fly at the moment, it needs the overall interface to be changed in the future.

What I am saying is that the Category area is useless to me, as I am sure it is useless for others as well. I would like the option of either not seeing it at all or rearranging the sidebar so the folders appear on the top and then the categories. Please consider this for the next update.

I'm sorry to hear it is useless to you, we understand you prefer the folders more. We'll look into seeing if it is possible to switch the order in the sidebar for you in the near future as a power user option. I don't have a timeframe on when this might happen and it might not actually be possible without a complete overhaul but we'll see what we can do.

Please fix or let me know how I can get a refund,

If you'd like to get a refund as you need this feature sooner, you can email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com and as long as your purchase is within 30 days, we'll process it without a question as part of our 30 days money back promise.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@MikeT

We follow the same consistent guidelines across all platforms, which means all of our cross-platform apps should look and feel the same as much as possible. You can't remove categories on Mac either, you can collapse the categories section, which is easily done because of built-in APIs we can use from OS X, not something we can reuse for Windows.

Are you really trying to make the argument that it's too hard to have a collapsing section on the side bar? Seems like a somewhat trivial GUI development task to me, having done exactly that myself numerous times.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @RichardPayne,

Are you really trying to make the argument that it's too hard to have a collapsing section on the side bar? Seems like a somewhat trivial GUI development task to me, having done exactly that myself numerous times.

In the current toolset we use to generate the UI, it is difficult. It's not a traditional sidebar with sections and so on, it's just a list of items that you can remove selectively via the View Menu. We rather put the efforts on a new interface with a better UI toolset than to try to accommodate all the different options.

This discussion has been closed.