1P for dummies desparately needed

Someone in a prior 2011 discussion said they don't see "dummies" even using a password generating program. Well, this dummy herein (and old too!) paid too early-on for 1P and now can't succeed in enabling 1P beyond my #1 desktop (Dell). You are absolutely great at describing all the wonderful things you can do (why I bought into 1P in the first place), but not actually HOW to do it (in all cases). Some of us need really basic step-by-step instructions. So if you're young and smart then you won't even need to go there. But others of us older, less computer-smart could sure use some really basic help. [OR a disclaimer NOT FOR DUMMIES! if you're not a techie, don't buy 1P.]

I'm more and more glued to Google (Fie on them) and desperately need 1P now because I'm being forced to change my Google password every other hour it seems. And you can't use a previous password. Hence 1P to the rescue. But I can't get 1P to work on my HP desktop via Dropbox. I may have missed the "sharing" step but which way does that work - share From Dell (#1) To HP (#2)? I'm sure that is supposed to be obvious but HOW do you do it. Ditto from my phone. Now Google seems to be requiring me to have different passwords for every single source so that makes 4 passwords. If they keep changing all the time it's hopeless without 1P. but if I can't get 1P to open on my HP, or my phone I'm totally lost. and can't open without a new password . . . . yikes.

Believe me, I've read your knowledge base too many times, but just can't understand some things or find working answers. What's a vault and why would you need 2? what's the difference between using Dropbox or syncing via a network. which is better or more secure? [The Dropbox installation infected me three times with Binkiland so I'm not a fan, also proves a dummy as well] The only thing I really need to share is the log-in password generating functions from 1P, I don't really need to share files. And I really don't need to confusion of this sharing. what/how does the agile.keychain work (I think that's my missing link here)? How do I get it from Dell to my other three? HELP (and thanks for your time and understanding of a rambling old person)

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@jfr219 I'm sorry you are having this problem. As your developer there isn't much I can do because as we all know, developers are terrible at communicating :) However, I do promise to bring your feedback up with our excellent doc team.

Some of us need really basic step-by-step instructions.

Have you tried our 10-minute quick start quide? https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/quick-start

But I can't get 1P to work on my HP desktop via Dropbox.

Please see our Dropbox guide here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

Ditto from my phone.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

What's a vault and why would you need 2?

A vault is your 1Password data. You do not need two of them. If you have your vault (aka your 1Password data) in Dropbox, then a single vault is probably all you need. Dropbox will sync your vault to all your devices.

what's the difference between using Dropbox or syncing via a network. which is better or more secure?

Good question! Dropbox is a 3rd party cloud service. You give them your data. They then sync your data to all your devices. Some people do not trust Dropbox and I do not blame them. For those people we have Wi-Fi Sync where your data does not leave your network.

The Dropbox installation infected me three times with Binkiland so I'm not a fan

I seriously doubt Dropbox infected you with Binkiland. Anyway, Binkiland is a notorious browser hijacker that you should remove now because doing anything else. Here are instructions:: http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/how-to-remove-binkiland

what/how does the agile.keychain work

1Password.agilekeychain is your vault (aka your 1Password data).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Good question! Dropbox is a 3rd party cloud service. You give them your data. They then sync your data to all your devices. Some people do not trust Dropbox and I do not blame them.

It should be noted that when you use Dropbox sync you are not, in fact, trusting Dropbox; you are trusting 1Password encryption and the strength of your master password. All Dropbox could ever see, without cracking your password, is a block of encrypted data, ie: gibberish.

• jfr219
    jfr219
    Community Member

Many thanks for these comments and suggestions. I will definitely try the links suggested above (yet one more time!!) and hopefully persuade myself I can succeed at actually learning and using this program.

• Hi @jfr219,

On behalf of Stefan and if Richard doesn't mind, you're welcome. We'll be here to help with anything you need as you continue to use 1Password. If there's anything specific we can help with, please reach out to us here.

• jfr219
    jfr219
    Community Member

I must now confess the most obvious and logical thing I missed in the instructions for the secondary pc, tablet, and phone >> One must DOWNLOAD the 1P program into each of those applications in order for it to work. I know that's a DUH moment for you guys, but obviously you seriously underestimated the "DUMMIES" implication and neglected to include that part of the instruction. Now that I've downloaded and installed 1P in all 4 places, everything is great and I have access to my new secure passwords and can get on with life. I was afraid I was going to have to pack it all in and request a refund. It's a terrible thing when your memory goes and passwords must change so many times. You're MY HEROs for sure.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No worries @jfr219. Even the most tech savvy of us have DUH moments. The only thing that varies is the technical complexity of the DUH involved! ;)

• I must now confess the most obvious and logical thing I missed in the instructions for the secondary pc, tablet, and phone >> One must DOWNLOAD the 1P program into each of those applications in order for it to work.

That's a good point, I'll let our docs team know to add this vital information. Thank you for your feedback!

• jfr219
    jfr219
    Community Member

thanks for even caring. Life lesson is to always think about WHO is reading the other end your communication and what/how do they need to learn

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @jfr219,

Life lesson is to always think about WHO is reading the other end your communication and what/how do they need to learn

We agree and we try to do this all the time but it is difficult to get it right 100% of the times. We sometime work with our family members to watch how they go through using 1Password and improve our application as well as our documentations.

We're actually working on a better documentation process to see if it will work. Here's an example: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

This discussion has been closed.