Auto-Type issues with certain game launchers [Guild War2, Star Wars, and Steam]

Nzall
Nzall
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

What applications do I struggle with?

1. Guild Wars 2 launcher (launcher accepts autotyped text, but password is incorrect when entering, probably due to similar reasons as Steam. copypasting works fine. password is autogenerated. selecting control-A first does not help.);
  2. Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher (autotyped password is not accepted at all).
  3. Steam launcher (starting characters of credentials are missing. Password is not yet changed to autogenerated.).

Are there fixes for these so I can use the security of Autotype? all 3 of these work fine when revealing the password and copy-pasting them.

Comments

• Hi @Nzall,

Is it possible to trial the first two games without paying? I'm not seeing any ways to grab them.

I tested Steam and I'm not able to reproduce the issue. Just to be clear, did you put your cursor in the username first before you press the Control + \ shortcut? Any differences if you press the Auto-Type button in the main 1Password application first to fill into Stream?

• Nzall
    Nzall
    Community Member

Star Wars: The old Republic is F2P, but you need to make an account for it: https://account.swtor.com/signup. Guild Wars 2 is buy to play and doesn't have a free trial.

With Steam, I didn't use the shortcut since I didn't know it existed. It remembered my username, so I didn't fill everything in again, just the password using the autotype button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@Nzall: Ah! Yes, I see what you are referring to. I tried this myself on Windows 7 with both Steam (Valve) and Origin (EA), since I had those handy.

In both cases, using the hotkey ( ctrl+\ ) did not work. But in Origin, interestingly, using the AutoType buttons to fill the username and password from the Login item in 1Password worked correctly. But in Steam, for some reason the first character of both my username and password did not show up.

I suspect this might have something to do with both apps using their own UI and not standard Windows controls, but I will bring this up with the developers to see if they have any additional insight or workarounds.

• Nzall
    Nzall
    Community Member

Is there a tutorial somewhere on this hotkey? and is the ctrl-\ shortcut still the same on my Azerty-device? because backslash is an alt gr key on Azerty, and I'm not sure how that interacts with each other.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Is there a tutorial somewhere on this hotkey?

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

is the ctrl-\ shortcut still the same on my Azerty-device? because backslash is an alt gr key on Azerty

You can see here what your shortcut is: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins

• Nzall
    Nzall
    Community Member

I have found another app that gives me issues: the Razer Cortex Manager (http://www.razerzone.com/cortex). It blocks copy-paste in the password box.

Has there been an update so far on the other 2 apps?

• Hi @Nzall,

We made some changes for Steam in the latest update, please try again and see if it works.

Make sure you also configure your Login for Steam to send Control + A shortcut first before typing the rest. Here's how:

1. Open 1Password, unlock and select your Login item for Steam
    2. Edit it, and check the box next to Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type
    3. Save it and try again.

When you try again in Steam, make sure the username field is selected before pressing the shortcut.

If it works, try the other apps as well with the same process.

This discussion has been closed.