Can I access my bank app?

eN0ch
eN0ch
Community Member
I have three apps, one for each of the banks I deal with. I like these apps for their interface optimised for the mobile screen, but I don't like the poor security of leaving them logged or letting them store my login details. Accessing my online banking through 1PW is more secure and efficient, but 1PW's built-in browser seems not to be able to access the optimised mobile interface. Is there any efficient way of getting the best of both worlds - the optimised interface of the bank's app and the security of 1PW?

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for asking, eN0ch.

I personally copy and paste my passwords from the 1Password app to other iOS apps as needed. It is not the most convenient thing in the world, but it is the best we can do without being able to interact directly with other iOS apps. Part of the security model Apple has in place in iOS involves segregating apps from each other within the system (often called "sandboxing"). This is great from a security standpoint — no bad guys can hijack Mobile Safari like they have Internet Explorer on PCs in the past — but it also makes integrating 1Password with other iOS apps impossible. :-(

With the advent of iOS multitasking a quick double-press of the Home button and a tap on the app's icon in the list of recently used apps is all that's needed to switch back to my banking app after copying the password from within 1Password.

I would also expect that while the logins you have saved for the desktop versions of your bank websites may not work, saving new mobile versions of the logins should work. Do you have the URLs? We would love to take a look and get them working in our iOS app(s) if they are not.

Please let me know how it goes.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    I should have asked before. Are you syncing with 1Password for Mac or Windows? If so, under normal circumstances, saving logins on your desktop computer and then syncing them across to your iOS device(s) is the easiest way to create new logins.

Unfortunately, I was only able to properly fill the mobile Bankwest login using 1Password for iOS. :S

I'll pass the other URLs along to the developers to see what can be done. I have not personally encountered those crazy onscreen AJAX keyboards before. They really don't want you using 1Password to securely store a strong password but would apparently prefer that you use a shorter less secure password which is easier to peck out on the JavaScript-based keyboard. Yikes.

We're always up for a challenge. :-)

Please let me know if you having trouble getting the Bankwest login to work.
This discussion has been closed.