1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini

Options
patrickrwright
patrickrwright
Community Member

Macbook Pro running 10.10.2 and 1Password 5.1.

On start of 1Password, I get a 'beachball' for about 2 minutes, then a pop-up alert:

1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini

I've tried a reinstall and a reboot, but the problem persists. What should I try next?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If this is not the way you reinstalled please try this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

If you've done exactly that already I'm sorry and please post again confirming that's exactly what you tried!

Stephen

• patrickrwright
    patrickrwright
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I had tried this, but had a version lurking in the trash at reboot. Seems to be all fixed now!

• That's great to hear, @patrickrwright. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• Nina
    Nina
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue with 1password 4 on an OS X 10.8 and have since deleted the app and zip (click, drag, empty trash) several times to no avail. I also tried downloading from both chrome and safari to see if that would help and it does not. Any other possible solutions?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nina,

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with this! Just to confirm, are you getting the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error message when trying to open the main 1Password app? When following the steps to delete the app and empty the Trash, are you also rebooting your Mac before re-downloading it?

It may help to make sure you're following these exact steps:

• Go to your Applications folder and drag 1Password 4.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash, then reboot your Mac.
    • After the reboot, download a fresh copy of 1Password 4 from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site.
    • Once downloaded, unzip the file if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder.
    • Double-click the new app to open it.

After following those exact steps in that order, does it make any difference? Please let us know how it works out for you. Thanks!

• Nina
    Nina
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for your reply. I followed those exact steps and still receive the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" notification (actually 2 notifications pop up essentially saying that same message). Is there another way to correct this issue?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nina,

When you say you get two notifications are they practically simultaneously? Is there any possibility that you have more than one copy of 1Password at all?

We do have a troubleshooting page regarding this message and it seems like this possibility is the last of the three main culprits. The first two you would have covered when you followed Drew_AG's steps in post #6.

Please let us know if this applies to your situation at all and if it helps :smile:

• Nina
    Nina
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the messages pop up simultaneously, and I had previously downloaded 1Password 3 (never used it), however, I had deleted it and any zips when I installed 4 and cannot find any remnants of 3 on my computer anywhere. I tried repairing permissions as well to see if that would help (it didn't.) Is there somewhere unique to look to find any lingering elements from the previous version?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nina,

The issue of having multiple copies wouldn't be in terms of two versions e.g. 1Password 3 and 1Password 5 but more two copies of say 1Password 5, one in your /Applications and another on your Desktop or your Downloads folder, the idea being two copies of the 1Password mini exist and are interfering with each other. If you've taken a look and you can't see anything obvious we can look over a diagnostic report for you. If there are two copies of 1Password it should show up there.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report.

Then attach everything to an email to us: support+ forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Nina
    Nina
    Community Member
    Options

I have just sent the report. Thank you for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @Nina,

I see somebody is now in contact with you, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this issue :smile:

ref: CQB-22939-852

• LauraR
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @Nina - I'm so glad we were able to resolve your issue by updating your Mac software to Mac OS X 10.8.5 from 10.8.

ref: CQB-22939-852

• Liamnz
    Liamnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi AgileBits,
    I have the same problem as above but following the removal/trash/reinstall process (3 times) has not worked. I am on OSX 10.8.5. The problem started suddenly while in the middle of a firefox browsing session. There are no duplicate versions to be found on my computer.
    I would appreciate any help you could give me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Liamnz,

I'm sorry you're getting that error and have had trouble fixing it! I see that you also emailed us about this problem and someone from our support team has already replied to that. We'll keep the conversation going via email, just so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there. Hopefully we'll be able to help solve that soon! :)

ref: HEJ-49595-924

This discussion has been closed.