Safely delete 1Password 3.8?

Options

How do I safely delete 1Password 3.8 if I also have 1P v. 4.4.3 on my computer? Typically, I use an app called AppCleaner to uninstall applications. However, when I ran it in 'trial sync' mode, it looked like it would delete some of the files used by 1P 4. I also want to delete all of the older 1P's backups as well. Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlf,

We would strongly recommend against the use of any app cleaner, if something goes wrong you'd be distraught at the possible loss of your vault so let's not risk it at all.

Instead I would recommend following the Uninstalling 1Password Manually section of our page Completely Uninstalling 1Password. That will remove 1Password 3 and leave 1Password 4 intact.

You just want to make sure you don't get confused and touch the 1Password 4 folder in ~/Library/Application Support/

You will want to remove ~/Library/Application Support/1Password

You don't want to remove ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

If you have any questions do ask :smile:

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, LBT. It was somewhat complicated but I think I did it. It would be extremely helpful if, when you install a new version of 1P, the application would offer to uninstall the version it's replacing. Even better, it would be nice if each version knew how to uninstall itself. I know the linked page you mentioned in your answer discusses an uninstaller app that one could use, but the instructions don't explain if that uninstaller just uninstalls version 3 or any and all versions it finds. As a result, I was afraid to use it and opted to uninstall 1P ver. 3 manually.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlf,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm sorry that the process was a bit complicated, but I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out.

I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.