Safari can’t install this extension: An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

yndara
yndara
Community Member

I started getting this error this morning:

Safari can’t install this extension: An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

I am running 1Password 5.1 from the Mac App Store on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, in Safari 8.0.4.

Extensions are turned on. The 1Password extension is Enabled.

The error appears periodically on its own, or I can force it to appear by clicking the Check for Updates button in the Extensions preference pane in Safari.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to stop 1Password from working. I was able to use the extension to fill my login information for this site just fine.

Something else I just noticed. I have two machines, both running the same versions of everything, but the error is happening on one machine and not on the other.

It's not really stopping me from using my machine or 1Password, but I figured it was worth reporting to see if anyone else had the same issue or ideas on how to make the error go away. Thanks!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yndara,

Hmm, that's a strange one! When I've seen that error message in the past, it was when trying to install the extension, but it sounds like it's already installed and working correctly. But we recently released an update for the 1Password extension, so Safari might be having trouble installing that - which would explain why clicking the Check for Updates button also causes the error.

Have you tried restarting Safari? That might be all it takes to get things working again. Try quitting & restarting Safari, and see if the same problem happens (if for some reason that doesn't help, you can also try restarting the Mac). Please let us know how that goes for you, and if it's still a problem, we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• yndara
    yndara
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for your prompt response! I restarted my Mac, and that appears to have fixed the error. What is the latest version of the 1Password extension? The version number in my Extensions pane is now 4.3.1, but I didn't think to check what it was before, so can't be sure if it definitely updated...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yndara,

That's great, thanks for letting us know that took care of the problem! :)

The latest stable version of the extension is 4.3.1 (we released it yesterday), so you definitely have the latest.

If you run into more problems just let us know - we're always happy to help!

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member

I had the same problem, but Safari appears to have installed the extension update now.

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member

Note: I'm still using 1Password 4.4.3 because I'm still on Mavericks. Disappointing that 1Password has stopped updates for Mavericks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @warpspeed,

Can I just confirm please, that whilst you were experiencing the same issue as yndara, like them it has now resolved itself for you and the extension is installed?

Sadly maintaining two branches (Yosemite and Mavericks) is quite resource intensive, more than you or I might guess at. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions knowing it isn't what we want to do but pragmatically what we may have to. Now you might have good reason for not upgrading to Yosemite but if you're running Mavericks then your machine is technically capable enough of running Yosemite and the upgrade is free to all Mavericks users. Having said that we know some people just don't like Yosemite or feel it isn't quite stable enough yet. If you were to upgrade to Yosemite though don't forget that 1Password 5 is a free update to all 1Password 4 customers so that won't cost you a penny (or cent) either.

• Rob Radencic
    Rob Radencic
    Community Member

I'm getting this error too all of a sudden, and I can't figure out why. I'm on the latest version of Yosemite with the latest version of 1password - and 1password is working just fine in Safari. The only thing I can think of is that, a few days ago, I installed ClickToPlugin in order to stop videos from automatically start playing on web pages.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Rob Radencic: Indeed, I had a similar issue. Safari will keep trying to install it until it is successful (which it was after a short while for me), or you can remove the extension and download it directly from the AgileBits update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

It isn't clear if this is a CDN or DNS issue, but be sure to let us know if you have any further trouble. :)

This discussion has been closed.