Logins do not AutoSubmit [removed in 5.3 for compatibility reasons]

Options

Comments

• btcompute
    btcompute
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    The process of 1password automatically filling in username and password is only working on some sites, many that worked before this update don't work now.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2015
    Options

@iphone6,

There is a lot of confusion it seems on this subject. The post you quoted is from @littlebobbytables and he is absolutely correct. We don't do "autofill" in the sense that the customer was asking about. What we do is fill your information, when requested. You can request 1Password fill information a few different ways on iOS. You can click on the URL for the login you want to fill within the main app which will open the website in 1Browser and fill the information, you can use the Safari extension, or you can navigate to the website in 1Browser and use the 1Password key icon to select the login you want to fill. We still do that (nothing has changed). We do feel that filling your information when you haven't requested that we do so is a security risk, and so we don't do that (and never have).

Autosubmit is what is currently gone, and that is just the portion the "clicks" the login / submit button for you. It has no effect on filling. Filling (at your request) is still very much an important part of 1Password.

If your sites are not filling correctly, I'd encourage you to start a new thread in our new saving and filling forum, and we'll be happy to help you get that working for any websites where it is possible (which is most of them).

I hope that helps clarify what is and is not currently possible.

Thanks!

Ben

• btcompute
    btcompute
    Community Member
    Options

I've reverted to ver 5.2.1. Works well and does all I want and need it to do.
    I'll stick with that until I see improvements in future updates.

• forrests
    forrests
    Community Member
    Options

On the subject line it now says [removed for compatibility reasons] !
    Does this mean version 5.3 is removed and being reworked so that we have the same features we had with version 5.21?
    I think this is what we are all asking for. Please let the new version function like the old one and only add more features/or new behind the scenes way the program works, if it doesn't change the great way the old system worked before!
    Thanks.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @forrests ,

No we are not pulling any version of 1Password iOS. But what we are doing is continually working to improve it.

As @bwoodruff said, we haven't removed any functionality in regards to autofilling other than automatic clicking of submit. But since we have a new system to fill websites it's possible that some of your favourite websites may not function the same way as before.

It would be a real benefit for everyone if you submitted info about which websites aren't working for you in the saving and filling forum and we'll get right on it.

• Marshall
    Marshall
    Community Member
    Options

Re: Ben's most recent reply, I am not even getting auto fill (of the username and password) most of the time, and auto submit appears to be a dead soldier. I am on IOS, iphone6 and iPad second generation.
    Marshall

• Ben
    Options

If filling is not working please start a thread in this forum after attempting to save a new login. Useful details would be:

• What version of 1Password you're using [likely 5.3]
    • What platform and OS version you're using [likely iOS v8.2]
    • Which web browser you are using [1Browser or Safari]
    • The URL to the website(s) you are having trouble with
  • johnoz
    johnoz
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@bwoodruff said: You can request 1Password fill information a few different ways on iOS. You can click on the URL for the login you want to fill within the main app which will open the website in 1Browser and fill the information.

This no longer happens for me on an iPad mini nor on my wife's iPad 2 running IOS 8.2 and 1Passowrd 5.3. It did happen yesterday before we updated. For me this is a deal breaker and has turned a slick app into a clunky app. Something is wrong (with your iPads or mine) if you think this is working...

• Ben
    Options

@johnoz,

Please see this post.

We'll be happy to help you get filling working.

Thanks!

• johnoz
    johnoz
    Community Member
    Options

Please see this post. We'll be happy to help you get filling working.

I've done it. Thanks

Look! You guys make a nice app, but it used to work well and now I have to spend time and effort trying to fix something you broke. I'm not happy and would appreciate you not using me as a beta tester in future. I paid for (and received) a fully functioning app --that's how I like it. If you want to experiment, then create an experimental version and run it side by side until you are sure all the bugs are fixed... my 2 cents

• Lymond
    Lymond
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits' forum staff or helpers are making this topic more confusing than is necessary. Here is the "skinny" on the problem (not issue - as issue is for debate/discussion; a problem requires a fix) with iOS 1P 5.3.

This is how "auto-login" works for me (and others) in iOS 1P 5.2.1 and the earlier versions. The 1P opens 99.9% of my accounts in the steps as follows:

1. Select a specific 1P login account with all the necessary details, then and tap its URL.
    2. 1Browser opens the URL.
    3. 1Browser inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Username.
    4. 1Browser inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Password.
    5. 1Browser AUTOMATICALLY OPENS the account contents WITHOUT ONE TAPPING on the login button!

For the remainder 0.1% of the accounts that won't open automatically from within 1P, regardless of which browser is selected, I use Plan B. For example, say, CitBank does not like 1Password. So, I open the CitiBank URL with the iOS Safari browser outside of 1P, and follow-up with the 1P extension to login; it does the auto-fills/completes/inserts both the Username and Password fields. Then I must tap on the login button to gain access to the CitiBank account.

Now, this how "auto-login" not working for me (and others) when using iOS 1P 5.3:

1. Select a specific 1P login account with all the necessary details, then tap its URL.
    3. 1Browser inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Username.
    4. 1Browser inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Password.
    5. BUT ONE MUST NOW TAP ON THE URL'S LOGIN BUTTON TO GAIN ACCESS!

This is the orginal concern, I believed, which started this discussion thread.

• johnoz
    johnoz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good post BUT:

Part 1 the same.

Part 2 is different:

This how "auto-login" has stopped working for me using iOS 1P 5.3:
    1. Select a specific 1P login account with all the necessary details, then tap its URL.
    3. 1Browser DOES NOT inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Username.
    4. 1Browser DOES NOT inserts/auto-fills/completes...etc. the URL's required field Password.

Nothing I can find to do within 1Password will fill these field except copy/paste

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

If you want to experiment, then create an experimental version and run it side by side until you are sure all the bugs are fixed... my 2 cents

@johnoz: Ideally, this is how things work. There will always be bugs in software of any significant complexity, however, so we do our best to resolve issues as they arise. But most importantly, in this case it is simply not possible to account for every website our customers might encounter in our own testing. So in the end it turned out that AutoSubmit was breaking a lot of logins for real people on real websites. This is why it was removed.

Please try re-saving the login item:
    1. Open the website in 1Browser
    2. Enter your login credentials (you can tap the 'key' icon do have 1Password do it for you if you'd already saved it previously)
    3. Tap the 'key' and choose + New Login
    4. Save the new login item
    5. Choose the new login from your vault, have 1Password fill it, and submit the form to test it

If you're still having trouble, please report your login issues in regard to that specific site.

We do not collect customer information, so the only way we find out about the login issues that folks are having is when they are reported to us. This is how we discovered that AutoSubmit was causing a lot of problems. And, ultimately, it is only with your help in reporting specific login issues that we can improve 1Password going forward.

• markhopson
    markhopson
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing is working. Tap the website and it takes you to the login page. No username or password is filled in. I tap the key and the correct login info and it still does not fill. Nothing you say to do works since last update. I've spent too much time on this. I can open my old notebook and type in my passwords faster than this is working now.

• johnoz
    johnoz
    Community Member
    Options

So in the end it turned out that AutoSubmit was breaking a lot of logins for real people on real websites. This is why it was removed

Interesting response. BTW due to upgrading to iOS 1P 5.3 I suppose I have now become a real person who has a real problem with a few really important websites that he uses multiple time a day. I have previously submitted a report for which I have yet to receive a response and tried your suggestion which didn't work -- not happy.

• markhopson
    markhopson
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

And I could not find a way to contact support. I spent $70 for the MAC and iOS versions. But can't contact support. I can't recommend this app anymore.

• Ben
    Options

@markhopson,

You have contacted support. That is what you are doing here. :)

Please see this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/193828/#Comment_193828

@johnoz,

I'm sorry if you have not received a reply yet. Our filling team is working hard to get back to everyone as quickly as possible, while also fixing the issues being reported. We've switched to an entirely new 'brain' for filling in v5.3 which will help get more websites to fill accurately, but there are going to be some websites that previously worked that will either need to be re-saved as new logins to get them to fill with the new logic, or in some cases we'll need to update the brain to accommodate them. We can only fix specific issues that are reported, and we can only fix them and reply about them so fast. We're working as quickly as we can to accomplish both of those things for all reported issues.

@Lymond,

You are absolutely correct in your description of what autosubmit was supposed to do. Unfortunately with many websites it actually caused a login failure, even though the form had been filled correctly. Autosubmit is not present in 5.3, and likely will not be in versions of 1Password in the near future, at least until we can find a more reliable way to make it work.
    We want very much to help folks with any filling issues that they have with 5.3 (see above), but there isn't anything we can do right now about autosubmit, unfortunately.

I hope this helps clarify.

Thanks!

Ben

• rjmac29
    rjmac29
    Community Member
    Options

Ever since the update I am unable to open scottrade.com/fullsite in 1Browser. Please help; this was working great before!! This is the case on my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad.

• rjmac29
    rjmac29
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I vote that you turn back on auto submit!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iphone6,

I apologise for any confusion I might have caused you. My mistake was not detailing what we call open and fill on the Mac and how that differs from what I would see as auto fill.

• auto-fill. Opening a web page in your browser and the Login being filled in with no user interaction. That is bad for a variety of reasons.
    • open and fill. Telling 1Password to open a particular URL and use this Login item to fill.
    • submit after fill. Mimicking the press of the return key after filling to complete the login process.

On the Mac open and fill can be invoked either from the main application or the extension. It will open a new tab in your default browser, load the page and the fill. In 1Password for iOS open and fill still works when you select the URL in the Login item and it opens the URL in 1Browser.

What we've disabled just now is the submit part. It does mean that you will need to touch the log in button on the page for now but open and fill still works. It might be certain Login items need to be recreated due to the jump to the new filling logic. It will mean a turbulent period but it should settle down and hopefully the new filling logic will mean better success with more sites.

This part is more directed to everybody.

If you have a site that doesn't work with open and fill I would personally recommend trying to create a new Login as I described in this post. I suggest it as it will allow you to (relatively) quickly determine if it's just due to the transition to the new filling logic. If it works fantastic, you don't need to work with us as we go through the troubleshooting steps which unavoidably, does take time. If you're still having troubles though we do have a new forum dedicated to this area, Saving and Filling in Browsers. We will do our best to answer promptly and work with you to resolve that particular Login.

• iphone6
    iphone6
    Community Member
    Options

i am looking at every 1Pass user that replied on this thread and i am amazed about one thing. Only staff (Team) members are saying AUTO SUBMIT WAS BAD , NOT WORKING WELL , GETTING ERRORS ON MANY SITES WHEN AUTO SUBMIT FEATURE WAS ENABLED AND THINGS LIKE THIS etc .
    Wake up guys , i didn't found a single 1Pass user crying or complain about troubles with AUTO SUBMIT FEATURE ,in fact all of us miss that feature and we are sad is GONE now , why we (1Pass users) would miss a feature that was giving us headache ? i can say i was very happy with auto submit feature and never had a single problem with it and my 1PASS app have over 100 accounts on it.
    But also i saw a team member talking about "REAL PEOPLE AND REAL SITES " ,I don't get it......You guys don't treat the same a user like me that bought single MAC and IOS version of 1Pass with companies (these are probably real people and real sites) that purchased 100 Licenses ?
    Maybe a POLL thread about AUTO SUBMIT feature would be great for 1Pass staff to see what their users want. (just my 2 cents)

P.S @ littlebobbytables thx for reply , anyway just saw the description on itunes for 1Pass was a bit changed after yesterday email conversation.

• Ben
    Options

But also i saw a team member talking about "REAL PEOPLE AND REAL SITES " ,I don't get it......You guys don't treat the same a user like me that bought single MAC and IOS version of 1Pass with companies (these are probably real people and real sites) that purchased 100 Licenses ?

You're taking that comment out of context. The point was that there are in fact websites that autosubmit causes difficulties on websites that a number of our customers do use. That coupled with the fact that in order to advance form filling we needed to upgrade the 'brain', and the new brain isn't compatible with autosubmit, the choice was made.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Why not make auto-submit a user-selectable option in Settings?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @southernforge,

Autosubmit doesn't work (at all) with the new brain.

Thanks.

Ben

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @bwoodruff , thanks for the information. Is that a side effect, or a design goal?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@southernforge: Having reliable AutoSubmit is our ultimate design goal; however, not having AutoSubmit is by design currently, as it cannot work as desired at the moment.

AutoSubmit is something we'd very much like to have in the future. While I can't make any promises, I believe that it is something that we care about at least as much as you and the rest of our awesome customers, so we'd very much like to have this functionality in 1Password for iOS in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

+1 for AutoSubmit.

My wife just asked me why 1Password was filling the form but not logging her in.

I hope that everyone here knows how much we really do care about all of our customers, but I know it is probably easier to believe that we just collect your money and say 'thank you' but aren't really listening. So if there is any doubt about whether our intentions are good and we are truly motivated to do what's best for everyone who uses 1Password in the long run, I understand. Just know that for every one of you who post here telling us that you don't like a change we make, each of us have our own loved ones to remind us -- in person -- what we need to focus on. :)

• ladyjake
    ladyjake
    Community Member
    Options

in the last week I have found that Logins are not as they have been in the past ... 1password fills in my details ok but I now need to press 'Login' to access the account, my husband and daughter have also found this problem too. The three of us are using iPhones, each different models.

This discussion has been closed.