Filter out registration data when auto-saving [We suggest re-saving on a Login page instead of reg]

zaneyu
zaneyu
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello there,
Thanks for providing such a nice product. I'm really satisfied with it.

However when checking my vault today I found some of my logins, especially those saved when I registered an account (e.g. your support forum account), contain lots of redundant or needless information. You may check the following two screenshots. The red-boxed areas are repeated or useless information. (In the second picture, 1Password even saved "Complete Purchase".)

(P.S. I've just found one login contains more than 50 useless detail... Terrible. :angry: )

Users' Dropbox storage may be large enough to store information like these with more than 200 logins, yet the real problem is that it may cause auto-submit login failure. I encountered this problem with my GoDaddy login when the password was filled into username area and the password area remained empty. It turned out to be that the my account password was saved twice and the designation was wrongly set. I deleted one password and manually set the designation. Now works fine.

So I suggest that you should built a filter (or something like that) within Auto-Save to prevent saving bullshit. For example, normally there's "Password" and "Confirm Password" on the registration form and only one password (though they identical) should be saved. For those websites which use email address as username, 1Password Auto-Save should have the capability not to save users' email as "username" and "email". No text section of "Terms of Service" and so on.

Many thanks if you could bring out the improvement in the next update.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zaneyu: Ah, I see what you mean! Unfortunately, 1Password doesn't have any way of knowing which fields are important to the login process and which are not. There simply isn't enough technology in the world yet to be able to filter all of the nonsense from all of the webforms on the whole internet, since they are all different to some degree! Fortunately, there is a simpler solution.

Since you're typically going to have 1Password filling the login form and not the registration form (over and over again!) the best thing to do is manually save the login on the actual login page, so that 1Password has all the information from the form you actually want it to fill for you 99% of the time. I hope this helps! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I suggest that you should built a filter within Auto-Save to prevent saving bullshit.

1Password's auto-save feature records all the fields on a login page, hereby increasing 1Password's success rate for filling this login for you. This is not bullshit and my advice is not to mess with it. That being said, it is usually safe to delete them except for your username and password.

especially those saved when I registered an account

Our advice is not to save the registration page. You're better off saving the actual login page.

• Hi @zaneyu,

In addition to what Stefan and Brenty wrote, one thing we can do in the future is treat the Web Form Details as a section and collapse it by default, same goes for the Password History. Password History and/or Web Form Details are something that 95% of users will never need to view all the time, so it should collapse on its own by default and keep things clean.

• zaneyu
    zaneyu
    Community Member

Hi @brenty @svondutch @MikeT Thank you all for your kind replies and suggestion! I think I'll follow your advice.

And I agree with @MikeT that you may collapse the Web Form Details by default. A login entry loads perceivably slower when it contains too many Web Form Details (taking approximately 1.5s to load an entry when it has maybe 200 lines of web form details). But I believe if we follow your suggestion to save logins only on a login page, there will be no such problem.

Thanks again for your helps! :chuffed:

• Hi @zaneyu,

But I believe if we follow your suggestion to save logins only on a login page, there will be no such problem.

Yep, you won't have to do this often as registration forms are short most of the time. Usually, they show the long terms of service on the previous page, not the same page as the registration since if the user doesn't agree to it, there's no point to register.

On the other hand, there may be one time where the web form details help is when you may have forgotten which email or home address you used to register with and you can reference to this web form details to find it.

On behalf of our team here, you're welcome.

• zaneyu
    zaneyu
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Hi @MikeT I'm replying this to show you some terrible web form details within ONE entry and the following two pictures only show some of them... To me they don't make any sense. I understand and agree with you latest comment though.

• Hi @zaneyu,

Without seeing the registration site itself but it looks like there's a different field for different languages, which doesn't make sense to me either. I also don't understand the 3xnumbers grid, it sounds like it's a long spreadsheet.

We can't control how the site designed their fields but at the same time, trying to filter these things out means we can lose data on other sites, so we can't take that risk.

This discussion has been closed.