Help needed: Error message trying to wifi sync between Surface and iPhone

robfuzz
robfuzz
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi. I could use some guidance. I have 1Password on my Mac and iPhone and recently on my Surface Pro 3. I've always just wifi synced between Mac and iOS with no problems. When I first synced my passwords to 1P on the Surface it worked fine but recently it stopped working. I get error messages. It says error message #7207 "Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured." I've attached a screenshot of the actual message. The code that shows up in 1P on the Surface matches the number that appears in 1P on my iPhone so I don't know what went wrong or how to fix this.

Comments

• Hi @robfuzz,

What this means is that the vault you're trying to sync with on both iOS and Windows doesn't match, they're different vaults. To prevent the data from merging in different vaults, we've stopped the sync to protect the integrity of your data.

Can you tell me if the vault you have opened in the 1Password application on Windows is the same as the primary vault in the iOS app?

• robfuzz
    robfuzz
    Community Member

I'm not sure about what the vaults are but the wifi code that 1P on my iPhone shares with 1P on my Mac is not the same code that 1P for Windows presents. Is the code that shows up when you choose wifi sync considered the "vault"? Should I/Can I edit the code in Windows to match the other code? Is that the solution?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robfuzz: Ah, that explains it! You need to enter the secret displayed in 1Password for Windows (File > Wi-FI Sync) into 1Password for iOS (Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Wi-Fi Sync).

The problem is that you're syncing your iOS device with your Mac, so it has the sync secret from that set up to pair the two. Wi-Fi Sync is only meant to sync a single computer with one or more iOS devices, not multiple computers. So you either need to sync with one or the other, or use Dropbox Sync between all three instead. I hope this helps! :)

• robfuzz
    robfuzz
    Community Member

When trying to sync 1P on iPhone with 1P for Windows I do enter the 1P Windows secret in my iPhone version but that's when I get the error message about vaults. So, what you're saying is my phone is only allowed to Wifi sync with either Mac or Windows but not both. If I chose Dropbox how secure is my information? Is there encryption? Dropbox seems so transparent to me sometimes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

So, what you're saying is my phone is only allowed to Wifi sync with either Mac or Windows but not both.

@robfuzz: Exactly! :+1:

If I chose Dropbox how secure is my information? Is there encryption? Dropbox seems so transparent to me sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by transparent, so maybe you can elaborate on that -- or perhaps the following will clarify that for you as well. Dropbox does indeed encrypt your data, so that it is protected in the 'cloud'. So the biggest weakness there will be your account itself (i.e. your login information being stolen or guessed).

But let's just pretend for the sake of argument that your 1Password data was stored using a patently insecure 'cloud' service. Because your 1Password data is encrypted before it ever leaves your computer, all the 'cloud' storage has is an encrypted blob of data. Without the Master Password needed to decrypt it, your 1Password data would not be useful to an attacker.

So the best thing you can do, whether you're storing/syncing your 1Password data in the 'cloud' or not, is to use a long, strong Master Password. And AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password you use to secure, so no one can give us 'the Canadian shakedown' (or one of the less-polite alternatives!) to get us to give you up (or let you down).

The biggest hurdle for some people using Dropbox will be administrative or network restrictions that some corporate IT departments (or governments) impose, but if neither of those applies to your situation you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• robfuzz
    robfuzz
    Community Member

That clarifies things around Dropbox for me. Thanks. So what's the best way to switch over to Dropbox syncing with 1P? What are the steps?

• LauraR
    edited April 2015

@robfuzz - we have some great user guides that step you through setting up the Dropbox sync -

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robfuzz: Indeed! The best place to start would be on one of the computers, since you'll need to install the Dropbox app (and set up your account, if you don't already have one).

Also, in 1Password for Windows specifically I know you can just click on the Move to Dropbox button in File > Preferences > General and it will take you to the Dropbox site to get you started if it isn't already installed and set up. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.