Merging Multiple Keychains

Hi,
I've been using 1Password for 18 months or so across PCs, iOS, and one Mac. Somewhere along the way I tried syncing with icloud rather than dropbox which proved a mistake. I'm back to using drop box across the devices but I haven't quite managed to get all the passwords into one keychain. Is there any tool / process where I can merge 3 or 4 keychains (don't ask how it got that bad) that are mostly the same and then weed out the duplicates?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@aterren9999: Ah! Sorry for the trouble. I've been in this situation myself from going back and forth on one device or another, and no matter how smart I think I am keeping straight what is where sometimes proves a losing battle!

Fortunately we've got you covered. In fact, if you point 1Password on each platform to the same 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, they will warn you about a data mismatch. In your case, this is expected -- even desired.

So for instance on iOS it will give you two options: Do not merge and More info. Choose More info, and it will show you a comparison of item count, percent similarity, last update, and password hint. Just double check that you're seeing what you expect, and then at the bottom tap Merge These Vaults Anyway to combine the two.

Repeat this process on your other devices (Mac, Windows, iOS) as you set each one to use the same 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, and eventually you will have a single, monolithic vault across all your devices again.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know how it turns out! :)

• aterren9999
    aterren9999
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Thanks. It sounds like what I want to do but I am having a bit of trouble with the mechanics. Specifically, the two vaults in question are both linked to my iOS and windows apps (attached is screenshot from the Windows app). I can toggle between them in both iOS and Windows though am not being prompted to merge them.

I suppose it is worth noting that I have all apps pointing to the same keychain now. I just have some straggler apps and license that are not in synch. In fact my 1Password license key was the prompt for this email...It was just a blank record in my 'master' keychain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aterren9999: Ah, there we go! It looks like you're making progress. One handy feature of 1Password for Mac is that you can copy or move items between vaults.

First, you'll need to make sure that you have the vaults in question opened in 1Password for Mac (the two in Dropbox pictured above, for instance). You can double-click them to add them there if they aren't already.

Next, switch to the vault you want to copy from (1Password > Switch to Vault > [source vault name]) and select the items you want to transfer.

Finally, go to Item > Share > [destination vault name] > and choose Move or Copy to send it there.

You can remove the vault you just copied from if you like once you've gotten what you need out of it. :)

This discussion has been closed.