Copying the Windows license to a new PC [Copy the license key from Help Menu > Enter License Key]

bobkusa
bobkusa
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I bought a license for my PC some time ago. I am now about to purchase a Windows based laptop and would like to know how to add my current Windows license to the new laptop.

Comments

• Hi @bobkusa,

Congratulations on the new laptop.

If you have your license key in hand, you can register the application on your new laptop by opening the main 1Password application, go to the Help Menu > Enter License Key.

If you're not sure what the license key is, you should be able to retrieve it from 1Password on your original computer. Open 1Password, unlock first, and then go to the Help Menu > Enter License Key and copy the license key it shows. You only need the license key, the rest of the information will be retrieved by 1Password later.

I'd strongly suggest creating a new Software License item in your 1Password database to record this license key for 1Password. That way, on your future new computers, you can just retrieve it from 1Password after syncing your data.

Are you able to transfer your data between both computers? This guide might help if you want to keep your data in sync with both computers: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

• bobkusa
    bobkusa
    Community Member

I copied the License Key from my original computer (Windows OS) and emailed it to my new laptop (a Windows OS). After downloading the demo version of 1Password onto the new laptop a dialog box opened giving a few options. One was to enter my license key. When I did that, I received the response that it was an invalid license key. That really confused me. So I exercised one of the other options saying that I lost my license key. I provided the email, I have only one, and thought I would check to see what 1Password had on file. Unfortuneately, though 1Password said they sent it to me, I never received it. I check in my spam basket, but there was nothing there from Agilebits either.

What should I try next?

• @bobkusa - Could you email us at support+forum@agilebits.com and we can help you directly. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.