How to sync between iOS, Windows, and Mac [We recommend Dropbox for this]

abraxus
abraxus
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I tried 1Password for iphone and I like the capability to have multiple devices sync via icloud (or dropbox). That way if I pick up another device it is just a few steps to get all that stored info too.

With the Windows and Mac version, is it possible to have the 1password program sync to icloud (or dropbox) and pickup the current data that was made on iOS device? If you can point me to part of the manual. I did a quick try with the windows version (not paid yet), I have iCloud on desktop and the selection to open box was not able to go to iCloud link. When I looked at iCloud contents I was not able to id a file for 1password that is apparently there since the iOS devices are able to sync.

Comments

• Hi @Abraxus,

Yes, it is possible to sync your data from the iOS device to computers and 1Password for Mac/Windows will read and sync back to the iOS device. However, you'll have to switch to Dropbox for this.

Apple's CloudKit API is restricted to their App Stores, which means it is only available for iOS and OS X platforms and can't be used on Windows. We use CloudKit to power the iCloud sync in 1Password, which isn't the same as iCloud Drive.

This link will take you to our guides on all platforms for Dropbox sync: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#dropbox-for-vault-sharing-and-cross-platform-sync

What you'd want to do is:

1. Switch the iOS app to use Dropbox via 1Password's Settings > Sync and wait for the sync to finish
    2. Install Dropbox on both Macs and Windows PCs if you don't have it installed already. Make sure you use the desktop version of Dropbox on Windows, not the Metro/Modern version of Dropbox
    3. Once Dropbox is installed and finished its sync on both computers, you can then install 1Password and once you open it, the application should detect the 1Password data stored in your Dropbox folder.
  • davidjgaeta
    davidjgaeta
    Community Member

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, I have Windows Version 1.0.9.342 on my PC and iPhone v 5.4.3. They do not seem to be syncing. Can you help direct me? Many thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidjgaeta: Indeed, unless both devices are logged into the same Dropbox account and pointing to the same vault (in 1Password for Windows, this will be shown under File > Preferences > General), they won't be able to sync data back and forth. Please follow the steps in this guide to verify your setup, as it will help narrow down the cause:

Dropbox sync is not working

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.